First Orem Chapel - 455
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Chasing Blue Sky
N 40° 16.932 W 111° 41.085
12T E 441791 N 4459304
Quick Description: The Timpanogos Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized November 8, 1885, making it the First Chapel in Orem, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 8/2/2011 12:18:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMC71J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 3

Long Description:
FIRST OREM CHAPEL

Timpanogos Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized November 8, 1885, at a meeting held in the log schoolhouse presided over by Presiding Bishop William B. Preston, his counselor Robert T. Burton, and Provo Stake President Abraham O. Smoot. Timpanogos, an Indian word meaning many waters, was the name given by the Indians to the entire valley as well as the beautiful mountain standing at the northeast border of the valley. Plans were made in 1895 to erect the meetinghouse. The land for the new building was donated by Thomas Jefferson Patten, Sr., nephew of the Apostle David W. Patten. Peter Mastin Wentz, called as the first bishop, and his sons made some of the brick for the building and the adobe lining. The various hues now apparent in the restored brick face show that they were made in small batches. The style of the church with its lovely gothic windows and tower was typical of the architecture of the day. The building measured fifty-two feet by thirty-six feet. Balls of carpet rags were donated and these were placed on hand looms to make rugs that added comfort and beauty to the new chapel. Window openings were covered with quilts. The building was dedicated in 1898 and used for dances and community activities as well as for worship. This chapel has been remodeled, renovated and added to throughout the years to accommodate members. From the original Timpanogos Ward has come a growing number of wards and stakes.

N0. 455 1990 North Center Utah Company
Marker Name: First Orem Chapel

Marker Number: 455

Marker Text:
FIRST OREM CHAPEL Timpanogos Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized November 8, 1885, at a meeting held in the log schoolhouse presided over by Presiding Bishop William B. Preston, his counselor Robert T. Burton, and Provo Stake President Abraham O. Smoot. Timpanogos, an Indian word meaning many waters, was the name given by the Indians to the entire valley as well as the beautiful mountain standing at the northeast border of the valley. Plans were made in 1895 to erect the meetinghouse. The land for the new building was donated by Thomas Jefferson Patten, Sr., nephew of the Apostle David W. Patten. Peter Mastin Wentz, called as the first bishop, and his sons made some of the brick for the building and the adobe lining. The various hues now apparent in the restored brick face show that they were made in small batches. The style of the church with its lovely gothic windows and tower was typical of the architecture of the day. The building measured fifty-two feet by thirty-six feet. Balls of carpet rags were donated and these were placed on hand looms to make rugs that added comfort and beauty to the new chapel. Window openings were covered with quilts. The building was dedicated in 1898 and used for dances and community activities as well as for worship. This chapel has been remodeled, renovated and added to throughout the years to accommodate members. From the original Timpanogos Ward has come a growing number of wards and stakes.


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
GOATTER visited First Orem Chapel - 455 2/4/2012 GOATTER visited it
snownomi visited First Orem Chapel - 455 10/25/2011 snownomi visited it
The_Simpsons visited First Orem Chapel - 455 9/28/2011 The_Simpsons visited it
UtahSteve visited First Orem Chapel - 455 9/26/2011 UtahSteve visited it
Chasing Blue Sky visited First Orem Chapel - 455 8/1/2011 Chasing Blue Sky visited it

View all visits/logs