Fairview Pioneer Cemetery - 523
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Mooroid
N 39° 38.218 W 111° 27.139
12S E 461186 N 4387563
Quick Description: This sacred plot, laid out by Joseph Gaston Garlick, was first used in 1860.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 8/1/2011 7:57:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMC6KB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 7

Long Description:
This sacred plot, laid out by Joseph Gaston Garlick, was first used in 1860. Three small children, Maria Terry, Henry Weeks Sanderson, jr., and Lucy Jones were the first buried here. Later, John givens, his wife, Eliza, and their son and three small daughters were buried in the cemetery. The graves of Lauritz Jens Larsen, David Jones, killed by Indians during the Black Hawk War, are also located here.

The cemetery was originally liad out in a rectangular shape. In the late 1800s, a flood from the west draw washed out several graves in the northeast section of the cemetery, causing burial to cease in that section.

Many of the headstones, the oldest of native limestone, mark the graves of mothers and their children who died of disease, childbirth complications, and accidents. Entire families were liad to rest here, having worn out their lives making the desert "blossom as a rose." In turn, an honorable legacy was left.

Fairview, settled in 1859, was first named North Bend. Because of the incomparable scenery of the mountains to the east, blanketed with pines, aspens, and wild flowers in Perfusion, the name was changed in 1864.

The Stone used to build this monument was the original stone from the Fairview Fort, built in the 1860s. During the Black Hawk War of the mid-1860s, some Fairview residents moved to nearby Mt. Pleasant for protection. Those who remained complied with leader Brigham Young's instructions to build a fort. By the end of 1866, a thick, ten-foot-high rock wall enclosed the center of town.
Marker Name: Fairview Pioneer Cemetery

Marker Number: 523

Marker Text:
This sacred plot, laid out by Joseph Gaston Garlick, was first used in 1860. Three small children, Maria Terry, Henry Weeks Sanderson, jr., and Lucy Jones were the first buried here. Later, John givens, his wife, Eliza, and their son and three small daughters were buried in the cemetery. The graves of Lauritz Jens Larsen, David Jones, killed by Indians during the Black Hawk War, are also located here. The cemetery was originally liad out in a rectangular shape. In the late 1800s, a flood from the west draw washed out several graves in the northeast section of the cemetery, causing burial to cease in that section. Many of the headstones, the oldest of native limestone, mark the graves of mothers and their children who died of disease, childbirth complications, and accidents. Entire families were liad to rest here, having worn out their lives making the desert "blossom as a rose." In turn, an honorable legacy was left. Fairview, settled in 1859, was first named North Bend. Because of the incomparable scenery of the mountains to the east, blanketed with pines, aspens, and wild flowers in Perfusion, the name was changed in 1864. The Stone used to build this monument was the original stone from the Fairview Fort, built in the 1860s. During the Black Hawk War of the mid-1860s, some Fairview residents moved to nearby Mt. Pleasant for protection. Those who remained complied with leader Brigham Young's instructions to build a fort. By the end of 1866, a thick, ten-foot-high rock wall enclosed the center of town.


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
The_Simpsons visited Fairview Pioneer Cemetery - 523 8/10/2011 The_Simpsons visited it
Mooroid visited Fairview Pioneer Cemetery - 523 8/1/2011 Mooroid visited it

View all visits/logs