Woodruff - 456
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Chasing Blue Sky
N 41° 31.213 W 111° 09.788
12T E 486388 N 4596521
Quick Description: Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker #456, at the Woodruff Town Hall, Woodruff, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 7/11/2011 9:54:51 AM
Waymark Code: WMC0JJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 4

Long Description:
Woodruff

In June 1870, a group of men left Sessions Settlement, later called Bountiful, seeking a locality for a new settlement. Traveling through Bear Lake Valley to Randolph, they were told that ten miles south was a good place to settle as it had water, beaver, mountain trout, herds of elk, deer and antelope, sage hens, and an abundance of wild fruit. The location was called Twelve Mile Creek. The following May the townsite was surveyed by Joseph C. Rich with homes located in a systematic pattern. It was decided to give it the name of Woodruff in honor of Wilford Woodruff who made frequent trips through the area. Here sixteen families spent the winter of 1871-1872. Woodruff was a typical pioneer community with hardworking people of moderate means. It was settled by men and women who had trades and special skills that helped them to build the buildings, survey the land and care for the sick. Joseph H. Neville was one of the great builders, operating the brick-yard and responsible for brick buildings in the area. William Henry Lee was the first bishop. Wesley K. Walton was the first schoolteacher with thirty scholars. Bert D. Brown was the first mayor.

No. 456 1991 Rich Company
Marker Name: Woodruff

Marker Number: 456

Marker Text:
Woodruff In June 1870, a group of men left Sessions Settlement, later called Bountiful, seeking a locality for a new settlement. Traveling through Bear Lake Valley to Randolph, they were told that ten miles south was a good place to settle as it had water, beaver, mountain trout, herds of elk, deer and antelope, sage hens, and an abundance of wild fruit. The location was called Twelve Mile Creek. The following May the townsite was surveyed by Joseph C. Rich with homes located in a systematic pattern. It was decided to give it the name of Woodruff in honor of Wilford Woodruff who made frequent trips through the area. Here sixteen families spent the winter of 1871-1872. Woodruff was a typical pioneer community with hardworking people of moderate means. It was settled by men and women who had trades and special skills that helped them to build the buildings, survey the land and care for the sick. Joseph H. Neville was one of the great builders, operating the brick-yard and responsible for brick buildings in the area. William Henry Lee was the first bishop. Wesley K. Walton was the first schoolteacher with thirty scholars. Bert D. Brown was the first mayor. No. 456 1991 Rich Company


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
MeanderingMonkeys visited Woodruff - 456 7/23/2012 MeanderingMonkeys visited it
The_Simpsons visited Woodruff - 456 7/12/2011 The_Simpsons visited it
Mooroid visited Woodruff - 456 7/12/2011 Mooroid visited it
Chasing Blue Sky visited Woodruff - 456 6/8/2011 Chasing Blue Sky visited it

View all visits/logs