Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 47° 37.885 E 013° 02.424
33T E 352787 N 5277195
Quick Description: Located on the site of Hitler's mountain retreat center, this museum is one of the best documenting the Nazi period of German History. Can be done as a day trip from Salzburg.
Location: Bayern, Germany
Date Posted: 5/5/2006 2:49:34 PM
Waymark Code: WMC06
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MikeGolfJ3
Views: 175

Long Description:
The Dokumentation Obersalzberg is a permanent exhibition at Obersalzberg near Berchtesgaden. It was commissioned by the Free State of Bavaria.

Obersalzberg, which became Hitler's holiday retreat in 1923, was expanded after 1933, becoming a second seat of government along with Berlin. The exhibition links local historical aspects with a portrayal of the central phenomena of the National Socialist dictatorship.

Exhibits are in German, but a portable audio guide is available with explanations in English and other languages for non-German speakers. The tour ends in a real bunker left over from the Nazi era. Plan to spend a few hours.

There are many remnants of the original Nazi complex scattered around the area.

The museum building is built upon the foundation of the Nazi party guest house.

Just above the parking lot is the last remains of the hotel Platterhof. (N47 37.813 E13 02.439 - see photo) It began as an Obersalzberg estate called the Steinhauslehen. Mauritia "Moritz" Mayer bought it in 1877 and later opened the Pension Moritz. Moritz Mayer enjoyed considerable local fame, and after her death, the pension became known as the "Platterhof," because Moritz was widely assumed to have inspired the character of "Judith Platter" in Richard Voss' novel Zwei Menschen (Two People). After the Nazis took over the Obersalzberg, the original Platterhof was remodeled, and a large multi-wing hotel erected around the original building, still known as the Platterhof. This was supposed to be a national people's hotel, where the common people of the Third Reich could stay when visiting their Führer, but the Platterhof never served that purpose. Instead, it served high-ranking Nazi dignitaries and other important visitors. The bombing attack of 25 April 1945 did considerable damage to the Platterhof. It was not destroyed, but it stood derelict for several years. However, it escaped the 1952 destruction of Nazi buildings, and was rebuilt and renovated by the U.S. Army as the Hotel General Walker, as part of the Armed Forces Recreation Center. After return to the German government in 1995 its fate was unclear, but it was torn down, along with the ruins of the garage, in 2000. Only a side building (photo) and the rear terraces were spared from destruction.

Behind the museum, there is a path that will lead you to the Hotel Türken (N47 38.027 E13 02.637 - see photo) and the ruins of Hitler's retreat, the Berghof (N47 38.010 E13 02.526 - see photos).

Legend says the "Türkenhäusl" was built by a veteran returning from a war against the Turks in 1683. Local innkeeper Karl Schuster bought the "Little Turk House" in 1911 and converted it to a guesthouse. It soon became one of the most popular stops in the region, entertaining the likes of Johannes Brahms, Clara Schumann, Bavarian Prince-Regent Luitpold, and the Crown Prince and Princess of Prussia. Schuster was a somewhat outspoken critic of the Nazi takeover of the Obersalzberg, since this ruined his business, and he joined the majority of his neighbors who were forced to sell out to the Nazis and leave the area in late 1933. The building was first used by the SS-Führerleibwache, Hitler's personal bodyguard. Bormann later assigned the building to the Reichssicherheitsdienst (RSD), the high-level Security Service responsible for Hitler's safeguarding. In practice, the ex-hotel served as a headquarters for the round-the-clock SS guard detachment, and also as a telephone communications center. Prisoner cells were maintained in the basement (above the bunker system). The building was severely damaged in the April 1945 bombing attack (being immediately adjacent to Hitler's Berghof), and heavily plundered by the local population and Allied soldiers. Nevertheless, Karl Schuster's widow and their daughter Therese Partner were determined to get the family's property back. Against opposition from the authorities, Therese Partner began to rebuild, and in 1949, she was finally rewarded by being permitted to repurchase the building. She immediately set about refurnishing and reopening the Hotel Zum Türken, which has again taken its place as one of the most popular guest houses in the area.

For a good overview of the Berghof in text and photos see www.thirdreichruins.com

A visit to this museum can be combined with a trip to Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" mountaintop lodge.

Find more information on this museum at : www.obersalzberg.de

Theme:
WWII/German


Street Address:
Salzbergstrasse 41 D-83471 Berchtesgaden Phone: ++49(0)8652/947960 Fax: ++49(0)8652/947969


Food Court: no

Gift Shop: yes

Hours of Operation:
April - October Mon - Sun, 9 am - 5 pm, last admission 4 pm November-March Tues - Sun, 10 am - 3 pm, last admission 2 pm closed Mondays


Cost: 2.00 (listed in local currency)

Museum Size: Small

Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
In order to log this waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. Please post a picture of yourself or your GPSr in front some identifiable feature or point of interest either in the museum, or on the museum grounds.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest History Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Noogman1 visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 11/8/2012 Noogman1 visited it
guru marvy visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 8/13/2011 guru marvy visited it
Arkhan visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 6/20/2011 Arkhan visited it
Glis visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 6/21/2009 Glis visited it
Flower Cacher visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 7/5/2008 Flower Cacher visited it
Tharandter visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 6/28/2008 Tharandter visited it
RakeInTheCache visited Dokumentationszentrum / Documentation Center Obersalzberg 10/21/2006 RakeInTheCache visited it

View all visits/logs