Old Holy Trinity Church – Wentworth, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 28.820 W 001° 25.405
30U E 604623 N 5926863
Quick Description: The ruins of an old church that was replaced with a new one in 1864. It was made redundant on 12th February 1975 and is a grade II listed building and remains consecrated. It is now maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust.
Location: Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/8/2011 2:21:33 PM
Waymark Code: WMBP7F
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 2

Long Description:
The church tower dates back to the 13th-15th Century but the main part of the church was rebuilt in 1864 for William Wentworth, 2nd Earl of Stafford.

The Fitzwilliam-Wentworth family lived in a nearby large stately home and owned much of the land around including much of the village. Their family dated back to the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066.

This old church was superseded by a new one across the road in 1877 .At the time the new church was built the then Earl and Countess Fitzwilliam had 15 children and needed a larger church. The family had their own seating area in the old church, and wanted a new arrangement.

They were wealthy enough that rather than extending the original church they built a completely new one and dedicated it to the memory of their parents.

In 1893 the bells were removed from the old church and moved into the bell tower of the new church.

The church was left derelict but then in 1925 the chancel and chapel were restored for William Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, 7th Earl Fitwilliam. Later the top portion of the tower of the church fell during a gale in 1962.

There is a large Fitwilliam-Wentworth family vault in the cemetery that is fenced off. It is actually accessed via an underground passageway from the chancel and can be visited on the days the church is open.

Although most of the church is now derelict the chancel was saved because it contains memorials of the Wentworth-Fitzwilliam family.

The chancel is usually locked but can be visited at the following times
Type: Ruin

Fee: 0.00

Hours:
The ruin is open 24 hours a day but the locked chancel is open Sundays May-September (weather permitting) 1-4 pm Guided tours of the Fitzwilliam Vault (max 10 people) at 2.00pm and 3.00pm Short talk on the Wentworth Monuments 1.30pm 2.30pm 3.30pm


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
patch67 visited Old Holy Trinity Church – Wentworth, UK 6/14/2011 patch67 visited it
wireworm visited Old Holy Trinity Church – Wentworth, UK 6/14/2011 wireworm visited it

View all visits/logs