Built for a Lifetime of Service Historical Marker – Correctionville, IA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member wildernessmama
N 42° 28.366 W 095° 47.192
15T E 270933 N 4706031
Quick Description: This historical marker stands outside this two story brick schoolhouse, the oldest brick school in Woodbury County and the third oldest in the state.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 4/21/2011 4:28:38 PM
Waymark Code: WMB97T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member martycook
Views: 1

Long Description:
This historical marker stands outside this two story brick schoolhouse, the oldest brick school in Woodbury County and the third oldest in the state. The text reads:

“Correctionville’s first brick schoolhouse has been standing here since 1872. Correctionville residents working for a local brickyard dug the clay nearby, hand-formed and fired bricks for the schoolhouse.

The building was repaired in the 1950’s and 1990’s. In the late 1990’s the community raised money, obtained funding from the Missouri River Historical Development (MRHD) and recruited volunteers to replace the windows, roof, gutters and downspouts and tuck-pointed the building. In 2002 a new bell tower was added and the original bell was rehung, returning the building closer to its original appearance.

For most of Correctionville’s history, the old brick schoolhouse building has served the needs of Correctionville’s residents. For the first 12 years it was used as a school, until the number of students grew so large that a bigger school was needed. The building provided extra classrooms in the late 1880’s and again between 1956 and 1978 because of large enrollment.

Since 1884 the building has been used primarily as a meeting place for military veterans and auxiliary groups. First it housed the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.), who were the Union veterans of the Civil War, and the Women’s Relief Corps. The building was called G.A.R. Hall.

Following World War I, the American Legion and Auxiliary also met in G.A.R. Hall. Between the 1950’s and 1970’s, veterans groups met in Merchants State Bank, so this building could be used as classrooms. The veterans returned to the G.A.R. Hall/Vets Center in 1979. Today it is used by the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Legion Auxiliary.”

Captions under the photographs say: “The G.A.R./Vets Center has served Correctionville for well over 100 years. It is the oldest remaining brick schoolhouse in Woodbury County.” And “Besides providing classrooms and meeting rooms for students and veterans groups, the old brick schoolhouse has been a place to gather for reunions, including this Old Pioneers reunion in the later 1920’s.”

This sign was placed here by the Big Muddy Workshop, Inc. in 2008. A veterans memorial is also found on the grounds.
Visit Instructions:
Please post a picture with your log. Thanks!

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Iowa Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.