Richland Methodist Episcopal Church – Richland, SD
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member wildernessmama
N 42° 45.671 W 096° 39.257
14T E 691938 N 4736963
Quick Description: This historical marker is located along Hwy. 50 just outside the tiny community of Richland.
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 4/10/2011 5:31:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMB64X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
Views: 4

Long Description:
This historical marker is located along Hwy. 50 just outside the tiny community of Richland. On it is written these words:

“Rev. S.W. Ingham, a traveling missionary, in 1861 baptized Minnesota Watson, daughter of Thomas and Adeline Watson, who with A.J. Bell and wife were its earliest members in the Brule Creek community. The Indian War of the Outbreak in August 1862 drove the settlers away but they returned that fall and the church was reorganized by Rev. Ingham with Jason Payne as pastor and about twenty five members.

The church prospered under several pastors until in 1885 W.H.H. Fate, J.L. Jordin, Albert Shirtliff, John R. Kerr and Frank Wade, obtained a church charter from Dakota Territory and it was May 12, 1885 when the trustees procured lots and the church was built by Gordon and Dean Blanchard and dedicated it as the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Richland on December 20, 1885. The present structure, with later modifications, still houses the Congregation.

W.H.H. Fate played an important role in the continued church history. He was known as “Father in Israel.” There have been many important people in the life of this church, but it was Fate who laid the cornerstone of its continuity.

Located one-fourth mile south of S.D. 50 it has, in 1967 over thirty-five active members, a firm reminder of the religious faith of the pioneer days. This church, a shrine of early Methodism, early frontier Christianity and rugged Christians after over 100 years maintains that role.”

The marker has the same message on both sides. It was erected in 1967 by the members of the church and State Highway Commission. The church is located on Center Street on the west edge of town, ¼ mile south of the marker. It is presently being used as apartments.
Marker Name: Richland Methodist Episcopal Church

Marker Type: Roadside

Marker Text:
same as above


Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'. If you do not post a photo your log will be deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Dakota Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.