Lehi Relief Society Hall - 498
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Mooroid
N 40° 23.283 W 111° 51.146
12T E 427649 N 4471177
Quick Description: Lehi Relief Society Hall on Historic Main Street
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 3/26/2011 8:02:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMB2DG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 6

Long Description:
In 1881, this building was constructed as the Lehi First Ward Relief Society Hall. It was used as a gathering place for meetings and to display and sell homemade goods. The adobe building was completed in 1883. Funds for materials came from bake sales, bazaars, dinners, gleaning of wheat and selling of Sunday eggs - eggs laid on the Sabbath. In the spring of 1883, John Beck, Lehi mine owner, provided funds for the completion of the building. Labor was donated by husbands of Relief Society members.
Many instances of spiritual outpourings are recored as having taken place in this building. Eliza R. Snow, General President of the L.D.S. Relief Society, attended many meetings in this building and on one occasion interpreted the speaking of tongues. This hall was the scene of Sunday School and Primary classes as well as weddings, anniversaries and othe social events. Utah's local silk industry was sponsored and centerd from this building. The Women's Sufferage Association of Lehi was organized here. Many women in Lehi enjoyed gathering in the spirit of Relief Society.
The building was renovated in 1942 to be used as a residence. The exterior appearance has been altered, but there have been no additions to the original dimensions of the building. It is one of a few remaining Relief Society Halls still standing today.
Marker Name: Lehi Relief Society Hall

Marker Number: 498

Marker Text:
In 1881, this building was constructed as the Lehi First Ward Relief Society Hall. It was used as a gathering place for meetings and to display and sell homemade goods. The adobe building was completed in 1883. Funds for materials came from bake sales, bazaars, dinners, gleaning of wheat and selling of Sunday eggs - eggs laid on the Sabbath. In the spring of 1883, John Beck, Lehi mine owner, provided funds for the completion of the building. Labor was donated by husbands of Relief Society members. Many instances of spiritual outpourings are recored as having taken place in this building. Eliza R. Snow, General President of the L.D.S. Relief Society, attended many meetings in this building and on one occasion interpreted the speaking of tongues. This hall was the scene of Sunday School and Primary classes as well as weddings, anniversaries and othe social events. Utah's local silk industry was sponsored and centerd from this building. The Women's Sufferage Association of Lehi was organized here. Many women in Lehi enjoyed gathering in the spirit of Relief Society. The building was renovated in 1942 to be used as a residence. The exterior appearance has been altered, but there have been no additions to the original dimensions of the building. It is one of a few remaining Relief Society Halls still standing today.


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Chasing Blue Sky visited Lehi Relief Society Hall - 498 10/17/2013 Chasing Blue Sky visited it
Toja7 visited Lehi Relief Society Hall - 498 5/13/2011 Toja7 visited it
The_Simpsons visited Lehi Relief Society Hall - 498 4/16/2011 The_Simpsons visited it
Mooroid visited Lehi Relief Society Hall - 498 3/28/2011 Mooroid visited it

View all visits/logs