Zuber, Texas
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member The Teer Gang
N 32° 01.740 W 094° 22.280
15S E 370505 N 3544472
Quick Description: The little Texas town, originally known as Zuber, had a post office, a cotton gin, and stores. The farming community developed and produced mainly cotton. The town of Zuber was renamed Gary when the Marshall, Timpson and Sabine Pass Railroad was built between Timpson and Carthage. In 1898 the railroad reached the Thomas J. Hull farm midway between the two towns, and Hull and S. Smith Garrison collaborated in establishing a twenty-acre townsite.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 4/20/2006 1:01:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMAXB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member CacheUsIfYouCan
Views: 40

Long Description:
A depot opened, and the settlement was named in honor of Garrison's grandson, Gary Sanford. The community soon grew to a population of 300.The old town of Zuber or Gary that it is called now, was the center of business for both farming and sawmill interests. It had a cotton gin, sawmills, a hotel, stores, and saloons. The Red Front Saloon was the center of social activities of the rougher sort until the county became dry in 1905. Until the 1940s cotton remained a staple crop, and the community was also a major grower of tomatoes, introduced by an agricultural pioneer and civic leader, Dr. Zack L. Daniel.
Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and description of your visit. Fresh photos and any additional information about the "Z" location are highly desirable.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest 'Z' Welcome Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
rilekyle visited Zuber, Texas 11/25/2011 rilekyle visited it