Jaggard House - Glendora, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 50.243 W 075° 03.647
18S E 494799 N 4409710
Quick Description: The Gabreil Daveis Tavern House, also known as the Hillman Hospital House, is a historic building in the Glendora section of Gloucester Township, New Jersey. It was designated a hospital by George Washington during the Revolutionary War.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 6/11/2010 11:13:08 PM
Waymark Code: WM9150
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 3

Long Description:

Warwick House or Jaggard House (private), on a hill at Chew's Landing overlooking the North Branch of Timber Creek, was used as a hospital during the Revolution. It was built in 1756 by James Hillman. The Hessians crossed the creek at the old Haddonfield Road, close to the house, as they marched to the Battle of Red Bank. This crossing was known as Signy's Run for an Indian chief named Sigintas, who was buried nearby. The house is now used as an artist's studio. --- New Jersey: A Guide to Its Present and Past, 1939; page 652


Originally, this tavern was built in 1756 near the Big Timber Creek and housed boatmen who used the creek to ship goods to Philadelphia. On the right side of the house, high atop under the A-roof is the date in gray stone. This is typical of almost every house of similar construction and of the same era in our county and neighboring Burlington County.

The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977 and is open to visitors on Sunday afternoons, from 1 to 4 , from April through December, excepting holidays. The original furnishings are still in the house and there are still bloodstains in the attic. On occasion, people have observed someone walking in the upstairs rooms, lights in the windows and strange sounds of people suffering. There have been several ghost investigations. Information for that can be found HERE and HERE

There is a single grave at the left side of the house and over about 50 feet or so. It is the grave of William F. Schuck. Beneath the grave (down the hill) is a large seating area full of benches, one in back of the other, as though this is some king of amphitheater in the outside. I am not sure what it is.

Street address:
500 3rd Avenue
Glendora, NJ USA
08029

Book: New Jersey

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 652

Year Originally Published: 1939

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.