Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Team Sieni
N 51° 26.988 W 000° 11.208
30U E 695468 N 5703600
Quick Description: Plaque marking the site of Saint John's Hill Workhouse (also known as the Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse) later renamed the Brocklebank Institute.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/27/2010 1:50:16 PM
Waymark Code: WM8FR3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member miatabug
Views: 10

Long Description:

Workhouses have their origins in the Act for the Relief of the Poor of 1601 which obliged parishes to take care of the aged and needy in their area [1]. "Unions" were amalgamations of parishes that provided workhouses for the accomodation of the poor.

The Workhouse in Swaffield Rd was built in 1886[2]. The inmates performed such work as stone breaking, woodwork, boot repair, laundry and baking. It was later renamed the "Brocklebank Institution" and was in operation in one form or another until the 1930s. There is a book, "Indoor Relief", by Opal Gibson about the history of the Swaffield Road Workhouse.[3]

The plaque reads:

The Site of the Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse. (Swaffield Road Workhouse). Later renamed Brocklebank. 1886-1972.

  1. AIM25 Archives in London and the M25 area: Wandsworth Board of Guardians
  2. The Workhouse Wandsworth and Clapham
  3. Indoor Relief by Opal Gibson. ISBN 978-0955244407

Blue Plaque managing agency: None given

Individual Recognized: Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse

Physical Address:
Swaffield Road
London, UK
SW18


Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Master Mariner visited Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse 9/9/2013 Master Mariner visited it