Kaiahiku, Maggoty Hollow, Panmure, New Zealand
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Queens Blessing
S 36° 54.136 E 174° 51.248
60H E 308812 N 5913819
Quick Description: A wharewaka or canoe house once operated here, where renowned carvers formed the important bow and stern posts for their tribe's wakas. Mokoia is the name of the pa that was located near the lagoon in the 1800's.
Location: North Island, New Zealand
Date Posted: 10/31/2009 8:05:19 PM
Waymark Code: WM7JF5
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member dragonsinger
Views: 2

Long Description:
Copied from the plaque at this park:
"One legend tells of the taniwha Ureia who once lived here until enticed to the Manakau Harbour, where he became entrapped. A wharewaka or canoe house once operated here, where renowned carvers formed the important bow and stern posts for their tribe's wakas. In 1848 about 80 Fencible families arrived on the shipe "Clifton", to establish a defensive post an Panmure. They were first housed in raupo huts on this site, which they named "Maggoty Hollow". Plaque erected 2005 by Pamnure Historical Society Inc with help from Auckland City Council."
********************

Copied from another sign at the Panmure Park (Kaiahiku):
"Midden Site
The area within the fence is an archaeological site. Burnt stones and pip, rock oyster and cockle shells have been exposed Please respect the site by remaining outside the fenced area. Auckland City"
((Note: Midden is another word for rubbish site, a place where evidence of prior inhabitants have left everyday items behind, especially bones or shells))
********************

Copied from another website:
(visit link)
Panmure Basin (or Kaiahiku), located in the suburb of Panmure is 11 km southeast of Auckland City. It is a volcanic crater formed after violent explosions long before nearby Mt Wellington erupted. Fresh water occupied the crater with an outlet into the Tamaki River therefore making it a tidal lagoon. Te Wa Mokoia (the waters of Mokoia) is another name for the Tamaki River beside the lagoon. Mokoia is the name of the pa (fortified village) that stood at the entrance of the lagoon in the 1800's. This was the home of the Ngati Hura people, a hapu (sub tribe) of Ngati Paoa. Ninety nine raupu (marsh reed gathered from nearby swamp) cottages were beside the lagoon in 1848. The Fencibles, who lived here at the time, arrived by ship from Ireland and Britain and signified the birth of the village Panmure. Living in Panmure Basin is Te Moko Ika A Hiku Waru, a taniwha, or guardian spirit.




Visit Instructions:
If possible post a photo of yourself and your GPSr next to the site otherwise a photo of your GPSr and the waymark.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Maori Historic Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ornith visited Kaiahiku, Maggoty Hollow, Panmure, New Zealand 9/15/2012 ornith visited it
Queens Blessing visited Kaiahiku, Maggoty Hollow, Panmure, New Zealand 11/1/2009 Queens Blessing visited it

View all visits/logs