Roman Catholic Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary - Trencin, Slovakia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member crowak
N 48° 53.623 E 018° 02.514
34U E 283190 N 5419859
Quick Description: Built in 1324, on the foundation of a 13th. Century building, the church is a three-nave Basilica-type structure with a simple right-angle presbytery and a protruding-front-positioned tower on the west side.
Location: Trenčiansky kraj, Slovakia
Date Posted: 8/12/2009 7:18:20 AM
Waymark Code: WM7028
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 34

Long Description:
[EN]

Built in 1324, on the foundation of a 13th. Century building, the church is a three-nave Basilica-type structure with a simple right-angle presbytery and a protruding-front-positioned tower on the west side. Around the first half of the 15th century, the church was reconstructed into a hall-like three nave structure with a polygonal presbytery. In 1528, during a besiege of the castle by Katzianer, the church and the nearby St. Michael’s carner burned down . With permission by the king, repair work began in 1553. The reconstruction was overseen by an italian builder Tobias Sebastiano.

From 1553-1560, Sebastiano built new nave walls, roofed with arched vault with lunettes on Tuscan pillars. He also built a cellar underneath the sanctuary. The project was finished by Mikuláš Bussi. Throughout its history, the church has been damaged by fire many times. After a fire in 1886 and at the begining of the 20th century, the church was rebuilt into today‘s shape.

The tower’s new dome was erected, a new faced was put on the building, colour vitrines were placed into the windows and the original brick paving was replaced by tiles. The Gothic burial plate of Martin Zima from 1498 is inserted into the walls of the church’s hall. A portion of the temple treasure is the gilded Gothic monstrance, given to the king Ludovit the Great by the emperor Karol IV at the time when successful peace talks were taking place at the Trencin castle.

The left side nave is where the burial chapel of the Ilešházis with the portrait epitaph of Gašpar Ilešházi is located. The chapel from 1648 was reconstructed and decorated by Ludwig Gode, a student of the famous Rafael Donner. He is the author of the sculptor group called Crucification and the portrait epitaph of donator.

The fortified enclosure of the church, also called „Marienburg“, was originally part of the City‘s fortification system, protecting the access road to the castle as well. The monument is open to the public only during religious services.

Chapel: Monday-Friday: 16:00, Saturday: 8:30 and 16:00, Sunday: 09:00, 11:00, Feriae days: 9:00 (in this time is full open)

[SK]

Opevnený okrsok farského kostola na Mariánskom vršku pod hradom, nazývaný aj „Marienburg“ tvoril pôvodne súcast mestského opevnenia a chránil tiež prístupovú cestu na hrad. Kostol bol postavený v roku 1324, pravdepodobne na základoch ešte staršej stavby z polovice 13. storocia ako bazilikálne trojlodie s jednoduchým pravouhlým presbytériom a predsunutou vežou na západnej strane. Okolo polovice 15. storocia bol zmenený na sienové trojlodie s polygonálnym záverom. V roku 1528 za Katzianerovho obliehania hradu bol vypálený spolu s nedalekým Karnerom sv. Michala. Náprava škôd zacala až po roku 1553 s povolením samého krála. Viedol ju taliansky stavitel Tobias Sebastiano, ktorý v rokoch 1553-1560 postavil nové múry lode a zaklenul ich valenou klenbou s lunetami na toskánskych stlpoch a zasklepil sanktuárium. Práce dokoncil Mikuláš Bussi. Kostol bol viackrát poškodený ohnom. Po požiari v roku 1886 bol zaciatkom 20. storocia upravený do dnešnej podoby postavením novej kopule veže, prefasádovaním a zasadením farebných vitráží do okien a výmenou pôvodnej tehlovej dlažby za dlaždice. V stene predsiene kostola je vsadená gotická náhrobná tabula zástavníka Martina Zimu z roku 1498. V chrámovom poklade sa nachádza i pozlátená gotická monštrancia, ktorú v roku 1364 daroval královi Ludovítovi Velkému cisár Karol IV. pri príležitosti úspešných mierových rokovaní konaných na Trencianskom hrade.

V lavej bocnej lodi chrámu sa nachádza pohrebná kaplnka Ilešháziovcov z roku 1648, ktorú na podnet Jozefa Ilešháziho prestaval a vyzdobil Ludovít (Ludwig) Gode, žiak rakúskeho sochára Rafaela Donnera (autor súsošia sv. Martina so žobrákom v Dóme sv. Martina v Bratislave). Gode je autorom sochárskej skupiny Ukrižovania a portrétnej epitafnej dosky donátora Gašpara Ilešháziho. Zo starého gotického zariadenia kostola sa zachovali dva fragmentálne zachované malované oltárne krídla z cias okolo 1400 a fragment malého prenosného oltárika Panny Márie z roku okolo 1420, ktoré sú v Národnej galérii v Budapešti. Ich zväcšenú ilustráciu možno vidiet v expozícii Karnera sv. Michala oproti farskému kostolu.

Bohoslužby: Pondelok-Piatok: 16:00, Sobota: 8:30 and 16:00, Nedela: 09:00, 11:00, Sviatky: 9:00 (v tomto case je kostol otvorený)

Zdroj/Source: www.trencin.sk

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 01/01/1324

Diocese: English: The Diocese of Nitra, Slovak: Nitrianská diecéza, Latin: Dioecesis Nitriensis

Address/Location:
Farsky kostol narodenia panny Marie
Marianske nam. 2
Trencin, Slovakia
91101


Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Relvant Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Koyel visited Roman Catholic Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary  -  Trencin, Slovakia 3/31/2012 Koyel visited it
ash99 visited Roman Catholic Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary  -  Trencin, Slovakia 10/23/2011 ash99 visited it
L@Troj visited Roman Catholic Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary  -  Trencin, Slovakia 3/4/2011 L@Troj visited it

View all visits/logs