Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Depot (Endion) - Duluth, MN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member FSU*Noles
N 46° 47.185 W 092° 05.700
15T E 569076 N 5181827
Quick Description: This is the Endion Passenger Depot, at Canal Park in Duluth - listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Building #75002088.
Location: Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 8/13/2008 6:52:16 PM
Waymark Code: WM4EQJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North
Views: 48

Long Description:
The Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Endion Depot is a historic railroad depot in Duluth, Minnesota. The station was formerly located at the corner of South Street and 15th Avenue East, but due to the extension of Interstate 35 along the shore of Lake Superior in 1985, the building was relocated to the Canal Park area.

The Duluth and Iron Range Railroad originally built its line from Duluth to Two Harbors in 1886. Endion was originally a small settlement outside of Duluth, but Duluth later absorbed Endion and other small communities surrounding it. The railroad stop at Endion was its first stop after it left Duluth, and the depot was built in 1899 to satisfy the demand for passenger and freight services in the neighborhood. At its peak, the depot served six incoming and outgoing trains per day. In 1930, the Duluth and Iron Range Railroad merged with the Duluth, Missabe and Northern Railroad, with the name of Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway as the result. With the decline in passenger railroad service, the depot stopped serving passenger traffic in 1961. It continued to serve freight until 1978, when it finally was closed.

The building is architecturally significant because it was one of the last remaining small passenger depots in Duluth. It features fine brick and stone architectural detailing and craftsmanship. The stone came from the Kettle River quarries near Sandstone, Minnesota. The building is designed with projecting gables that form a transept. Its architect, I. Vernon Hill, went on to have a distinctive impact on the architecture of Duluth in the early 20th century, using the projecting gables as a trademark. The design is a variation on the Richardsonian Romanesque style popular in the 1880s and 1890s.

Source: Modified from Wikipedia
Street address:
1504 South St.
Duluth, MN USA
55812


County / Borough / Parish: St. Louis

Year listed: 1975

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1875-1899

Historic function: Transportation, Rail-Related

Current function: Commerce/Trade

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
DougandSandra visited Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Depot (Endion) - Duluth, MN 3/20/2012 DougandSandra visited it
wildernessmama visited Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Depot (Endion) - Duluth, MN 8/4/2010 wildernessmama visited it
pfalstad visited Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Depot (Endion) - Duluth, MN 9/12/2008 pfalstad visited it
meralgia visited Duluth Missabe and Iron Range Depot (Endion) - Duluth, MN 8/9/2008 meralgia visited it

View all visits/logs