Cobblestone Farm - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member GT.US
N 42° 14.693 W 083° 42.640
17T E 276363 N 4680523
Quick Description: The Cobblestone Farm is a historical park in Ann Arbor
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 7/5/2008 6:09:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM446Z
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MrsMcFly
Views: 58

Long Description:
The nearby historical marker reads:

In 1844, Benajah Ticknor, a U.S. naval surgeon from Connecticut, built this Classical Revival house on his 183-acre farm in Pittsfield Township. He used cobblestone construction, which originated in upstate New York. The rear wing includes a small frame house, first occupied in 1835 by his brother Heman Ticknor, farm manager and township leader. At Dr. Ticknor's death in 1858, his extensive medical and classical library was given to the University of Michigan. The home was listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1936.
(SIDE TWO) In 1881, Scottish immigrant William Campbell, an educator from Ypsilanti, purchased this house on a 223-acre farm. He and his son Clair raised grain, hogs and purebred prize cattle. Farming continued on this site until 1955. For ninety-one years three generations of the Campbell family retained the house essentially unchanged. In 1972 the city of Ann Arbor purchased it for use as a pioneer farm museum, and it was placed on the national and Michigan historic registers.

City, Town, Village Name: Ann Arbor

Building Usage: Museum

Public or Private: Public

Tours Available?: yes

Website: [Web Link]

Architectural style: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Original photo of the building is necessary to log a visit in this category, no photos of GPS or person required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Cobblestone Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Pucketts visited Cobblestone Farm - Ann Arbor, Michigan 1/8/2012 Pucketts visited it