West Layton Meeting House - 539
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
N 41° 03.673 W 112° 00.305
12T E 415548 N 4546039
Quick Description: As pioneer settlers spread out onto the rangelands of Kaysville along the two branches of Kays Creek, those in the north, who made their living dry farming and stock raising, separated from Kaysville to form their own town. It was named Layton....
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 4/9/2008 3:32:38 PM
Waymark Code: WM3HZ1
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PeanutsParents
Views: 20

Long Description:
As pioneer settlers spread out onto the rangelands of Kaysville along the two branches of Kays Creek, those in the north, who made their living dry farming and stock raising, separated from Kaysville to form their own town. It was named Layton, after Christopher Layton. A U.S. post office opened in 1886.
Layton members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints attended meeting together. Those families living in the west fields were divided from those in the eastern part in 1895 and became known as the West layton Ward.
Church meetings for the West Layton congregation were first held in a small brick schoolhouse that had been built in 1892.
Charles A. Layton later donated an acre of property east of this monument where a brick meetinghoues was built in 1897. It was financed exclusively by members and was known as a "Tithing" Ward. The building was dedicated March 31, 1901, by Joseph F. Smith.
The 56' x 120' structure was erected on a foundation constructed of rock and plaster. The cathedral-type ceiling had joists about twelve feet long at the apex of the roof. The walls were four bricks thick. Three of the layers were adobe bricks mixed, molded, and sunbaked at the construction site by young men. Commercially kiln-fired brick covered the adobes. The chapel was divided into nine classrooms by heave greem curtains suspended on steel wire. The steeple had a bell tower, but no bell was ever hung there.
Over the years other rooms were added. Te meetinghouse served as the community social center, hosting dances, cultural productions, and other activities until it was torn down in 1971.
Marker Name: West Layton Meeting House

Marker Number: 539

Marker Text: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
The_Simpsons visited West Layton Meeting House - 539 5/9/2011 The_Simpsons visited it
Mooroid visited West Layton Meeting House - 539 5/1/2011 Mooroid visited it
Chasing Blue Sky visited West Layton Meeting House - 539 3/16/2010 Chasing Blue Sky visited it

View all visits/logs