St. Mary's Church - Turtlepoint, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Szuchie
N 41° 54.169 W 078° 20.344
17T E 720715 N 4642410
Quick Description: A spectacular little church that was a valuable institution for the Northern Pennsylvania area.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 2/27/2008 6:11:25 PM
Waymark Code: WM38Y8
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 5

Long Description:
St. Mary's church yard is a quaint countryside church that sits alongside a beautiful old cemetery. The cemetery contains over 100 headstones ranging in date from the 1800's until present day. In front of the Church there is a Pennsylvania Historical Marker that states:

St. Mary's Church Parish organized 1847 at Sartwell in the "Irish Settlement," originally formed 1842-60. Log church built 1848; present one completed 1871. Resident pastor long served Roman Catholics throughout McKean and Potter counties, and this was the "mother church" of those at Port Allegany, Bradford, Smethport, Eldred, Duke Center, and Costello. It later became a mission of St. Raphael's at Eldred.

Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 1984


According to the website listed below:

St. Mary's Church was established here in 1847, and Rev. J.J. Burns was resident priest in 1850, when the old church was erected and dedicated by Bishop O'Connor. Fathers Dean and Galligan were missionary priests in 1847-48, and Father Smith was resident pastor from October, 1848, to June 16, 1850. In 1853 Rev. Coady succeeded Father Burns, who was followed by Father Madigan in September, 1856, and he by Father Murrill in December, 1866. Father P.J. Patterson, V.F., came in September, 1868. In 1869 he commenced the present church building, which was dedicated in February, 1872, by Bishop Mullen. The congregation comprises 150 families. The church at Newell Creek may be said to have absorbed old St. Mary's above Smethport, leaving the southern members alone to the new parish of Smethport. The pastor died December 21, 1889. Father Cosgrove is successor of the venerable Father Patterson as pastor of St. Mary's parish, including Port Allegany, Austin, Costello, Duke Centre and other places.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1871

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Roman Catholics

Street address of Church:
Newell Creek Rd
Turtlepoint, PA USA
16750


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.