Fisher Tarn - Kendal, Cumbria UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member martlakes
N 54° 19.668 W 002° 41.703
30U E 519831 N 6020036
Quick Description: An old water supply reservoir for Kendal, now used primarily for fishing. Owned by United Utilities. East of Kendal on the old Sedbergh Road.
Location: United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/29/2008 1:04:13 PM
Waymark Code: WM32DD
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member NFreitas
Views: 26

Long Description:
The road from Kendal to Sedbergh now zigs and zags past Singleton Park. The old road takes a more direct (and steep) route. Over the top of the hill on this old road is this disused reservoir. It was built in 1895 to serve the increasing demand for water from Kendal. These days the supply comes from Watchgate treatment works, tapping into the Thirlmere aqueduct system.

The reservoir is the usual Victorian stone construction, and although not very high, is quite long. It may well have enclosed an existing tarn, hence it's not called Fisher Reservoir. Today it is a peaceful place home to fishermen and bird watchers.

The name may not be anything to do with the worm drowners, but a local family who owned the land. Their coat of arms is on the church tower in New Hutton a mile or two away.

A small valve house is situated below the dam by the overspill channel. It has a commemorative plaque on the apex:

Borough of Kendal
This stone commemorating the commencement
In the month of July 1895
Of the Fisher Tarn extension waterworks
Was laid on the first day of October 1896

The reservoir may not have produced a lot of water since it is very high up on the drainage system and has a very small catchment area - just the run off from the back of Benson Knott. A slightly odd place to build a reservoir, although it has a good head above Kendal!

There is a small area for parking at the entrance drive to the house. Dogs are not allowed at any time. Enjoy your visit.

Waterway where the dam is located: Streams on Benson Knott

Main use of the Water Dam: Water Supply (Drinkable)

Material used in the structure: masonry

Date built: 01/07/1895

Fishing Allowed: yes

Height of Dam: Not listed

Motor Sports Allowed: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of the Dam and a description of your visit.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Water Dams
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.