Fort DeSoto Park
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 27° 37.377 W 082° 42.828
17R E 330897 N 3056608
Quick Description: Fort De Soto Park is at the far southern tip of the city of St. Petersburg, Florida. This park, operated by Pinellas County, is made up from five offshore keys.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 7/20/2007 9:55:19 AM
Waymark Code: WM1WE2
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Jeremy
Views: 78

Long Description:
Fort De Soto Park is at the far southern tip of the city of St. Petersburg, Florida. This park, operated by Pinellas County, is made up from five offshore keys, or islands: Madelaine Key, St. Jean Key, St. Christopher Key, Bonne Fortune Key and Mullet Key (which is the main island). Today all are connected by land to each other. The island group is accessible by toll road from the mainland.

The park is a 'gateway site' for the Great Florida Birding Trail.

History
In 1849, Brevet Col. Robert E. Lee (the famous American Civil War commander) and three other US Army Engineers surveyed the area and recommended Mullet and Egmont Keys become fortified. Both keys could only be reached by boat, since they were islands off the mainland. Union troops were stationed on the two keys during the Civil War (1861–1865) to aid in the Union blockade of Tampa Bay. The keys were again abandoned by the military and in 1882 military reservations were officially created on the two keys. Nothing was constructed there, however.

Hillsborough County established a quarantine station on the eastern side of Mullet Key in 1889. It became known as Mullet Key Quarantine Station. The Marine Hospital Service took over jurisdiction of the station in 1901. The duty of the station was to inspect aliens aboard ships arriving from foreign ports. By 1925 the station operated with fifteen buildings. The quarantine station operated until 1937, when the Public Health Service transferred its operations there to Gadsden Point, near Tampa.

Interior of historic Fort DesotoThe main operation on Mullet Key, however, became Fort De Soto in 1900, named for Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto. The Army post was officially a subpost of Fort Dade, which was constructed on Egmont Key. These posts were to contain batteries of artillery and mortars to protect Tampa Bay from any invading forces. Construction of Fort De Soto began in November 1898 and was completed in 1906. The foundation was constructed of a shell concrete formula and the walls and ceiling used a shell, stone and concrete mix. The main attractions at the completed post were the artillery and mortar batteries, Batteries Laidley and Bigelow. The post consisted of 29 buildings. The post's features included a large barracks, a hospital, a guardhouse, a blacksmith and carpenter shop, an administration building, and mess hall with kitchen, a bakery, and astorehouse. The site also had brick roads, concrete sidewalks and a narrow-gauge railroad to aid in moving materials and supplies around the post.

The post was active from 1898 to 1910. At least one company was present at Fort De Soto at all times and many times several units were present. Mosquitoes were a constant problem and the post was very hot in the summers.

In 1910 most troops were moved to Fort Morgan, Alabama. Only a caretaker force remained. By 1914 only a sergeant and game warden remained at the post. Through most of World War I a larger caretaker force was at the post, usually with about 22 privates, two noncommissioned officers and two commissioned officers. In 1917 four of the post's mortars were disassembled and shipped to Fort Rosecrans, in San Diego, California.

Two of the four 12-inch M1890-M1 mortarsIn November 1922 the Army announced it would soon close both Forts De Soto and Dade. On May 25, 1923, the forts were officially abandoned and only one caretaker remained at each post. A number of tropical storms and hurricanes severely damaged the buildings on the post. A few were destroyed, as was Battery Bigelow in 1932. The Army attempted to sell the post, but there was little interest. In September 1938 Pinellas County bought the areas on Mullet Key for $12,500.

Two years later the War Department decided it wanted Mullet Key back for use as a bombing range. In June 1941 the key was purchased back from Pinellas County for $18,404 and turned into a subpost of MacDill Field. In 1948 Pinellas County again purchased the key and it permanently remained county property.

In 1962 a toll road, the Pinellas Bayway (formerly State Road A19A, now SR 682), was completed to the mainland, enabling island visitors to arrive by car. On December 21, 1962, Fort De Soto Park opened. On 11 May 1963, Fort De Soto Park was officially dedicated. Its facilities have been expanded over the years. The quartermaster storehouse was reconstructed to become the Quartermaster Storehouse Museum. On December 2, 1977, the Fort De Soto batteries were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In 2005, Fort Desoto was given the honor as top beach in America by Dr. Beach.
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
debbado visited Fort DeSoto Park 11/28/2011 debbado visited it
sfwife visited Fort DeSoto Park 11/27/2008 sfwife visited it
yorelken visited Fort DeSoto Park 3/3/2008 yorelken visited it
litinerant visited Fort DeSoto Park 2/17/2008 litinerant visited it
DangerousDale visited Fort DeSoto Park 7/14/2007 DangerousDale visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited Fort DeSoto Park 6/2/2007 ChapterhouseInc visited it

View all visits/logs