Dobson's Mill Burgh le Marsh
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member V70PDB
N 53° 09.638 E 000° 14.863
31U E 315999 N 5893677
Quick Description: A working Mill in Burgh-le-marsh Lincolnshire
Location: United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/11/2007 10:33:13 AM
Waymark Code: WM1HE7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 81

Long Description:
The late Peter Dolmans writes in his book "Lincolnshire Windmills - a contemporary survey...

“One of the best preserved of the County's mills, this tower mill was built in 1813 by Oxley of Alford. It is shown on an Estate map of 1819 as having four sails. These are said to have been common sails operated from a stage but in my opinion it has always had patent sails. The stage is now missing but the filled-in putlog holes can be made out at second floor level, where the two door openings have been partly filled in and converted to windows. As the stage only relied on the putlogs for support it cannot have been wide enough to reef common sails from. I also believe it could have originally had five sails as it does at present, like Alford mill which was also erected in 1813 by Oxley. Unlike Alford mill however this mill has 'left-handed' sails, that is they rotate clockwise when viewed from the front. It worked by wind, assisted by an oil engine latterly, until 1964 when Edwin Dobson gave up the business.. In 1974 Lincolnshire County Council took over and in 1984 it was set to work again, staffed by volunteer millers on special open days.

The five patent sails drive through a composite brake wheel with iron hub, spokes and teeth and a wooden rim. The brake band is also of iron. The wallower is of iron with mortised wooden cogs, an unusual type in the County. The sackhoist is driven from the underside of the wallower and as is often found uses an endless chain which saves having to lower the chain after each sack is raised.

There are two bin floors, both divided up by partitions and the stones are on the second floor. The two pairs of greys and one pair of French are driven in the usual manner by an iron great spur wheel, mortice stone nuts and an iron upright shaft. A fourth 'nut' engages with the spur wheel and formerly took the drive from the auxiliary oil engine. By putting the wallower out of gear it was possible to then drive the 'wind' stones by engine if desired.

The first floor, in addition to containing the wind- mill tentering gear, governor and spouts, has a pair of grey stones directly underdriven from the engine by way of bevel gears. The ground floor contains more engine- driven machinery consisting of a Hunt Corn Crushing Mill (or roller mill), a mixer by Thompsons of Alford (for making up animal feeds) and an elevator for moving stock around when the wind-powered hoist is not in use. The Blackstone diesel engine from Addlethorpe mill is to be installed to replace the original which had been disposed of.”

Address:
46 High Street
Burgh le Marsh
Skegness
Lincolnshire
PE24 5JT

Contact:
Mr John W Clarke (The Custodian)
Hall Farm
Burgh le Marsh
Skegness
Lincolnshire
PE24 5AQ

Phone: 01522 522064 / 01754 766658
Alternative Phone: Mr Clarke 01754 810324
Fax: 01522 859344

Facilities: There is also a gallery which outlines the history of milling, a gift shop and a tea room.
Opening hours: Open May to October Sundays only 2pm to 5pm. Please telephone Mr Clarke to check additional opening times.

Admission prices: Free admission

Information for people with disabilities:
Access poor. Videos and stills for disabled

Date of Manufacture: 01/01/1813

Purpose: Milling

Open to the public: yes

Is This Windmill Functional?: Yes!

Museum on Site: yes

Windmill Farm: Not Listed

Cost: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.