Confederate Chapel - Higginsville, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 05.899 W 093° 43.785
15S E 436896 N 4327940
Quick Description: The chapel at the Confederate Memorial Park State Historic Site. Moved in 1913, then moved again in 1978
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/19/2015 8:52:10 AM
Waymark Code: WMNQEJ
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of site: Lafayete County
Location of site: 1st St., Missouri Confederate Home Historic Site, Jct. MO-213, busi. MO-13, & MO-20, 2 miles N. of Higginsville
Chapel built" 1892

Confederate Chapel
The chapel was built in 1892. A contemporary wrote succinctly "At the south end of the street or avenue, stands a neat frame chapel built by the ladies of Lafayette County at a cost of $1,200, where preaching service is regularly held." In 1913 the chapel was moved to a more central location to accommodate an aging resident population. Sixty-Five years later, when threatened with destruction by the expansion of the mental health facility, it was moved again to its present location, which approximates the original. The Perceptor, Xi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi Sorority was instrumental in this endeavor" ~ Missouri Department of Natural Resources

"The Confederate Chapel is a small one-storied white frame structure measuring 44' along the southeast side, 52' along the northwest side, and 34' along the northeast and southwest sides. It now rests upon a new concrete basement that was poured in October of 1978 when the chapel was returned to its original site on November 14, 1978. The basement is approximately 6' below grade level on the southwest side, approximately 7' decreasing to 6' below grade level on the southeast, and 6' below grade level on the northwest.

The building is basically rectangular with a square two-storied tower projecting from the left corner of the facade and a small tri-partite bay. The Chapel is faced with weather board painted white on all four sides; the paint was chipping and fading badly so in June of 1979 the chapel was given a new coat of paint." ~ NRHP nomination form

Original Location: N 39° 05.965 W 093° 43.581

How it was moved: Wheels / Dolly / Truck

Type of move: Other

Building Status: Public

Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.