St. Ludger Catholic Church - Montrose, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 38° 17.423 W 094° 01.201
15S E 410798 N 4238526
Quick Description: Historic Catholic Church in the small village of Germantown near Montrose, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 3/21/2015 5:23:00 PM
Waymark Code: WMNJ60
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Constructed in 1926-27, the St. Ludger Catholic Church is located in Germantown, Henry County, Missouri. Germantown is a small village in a primarily agricultural area in west central Missouri. To help denote its location, it is on State Route Highway K four miles northwest of Montrose, Missouri, which is its nearest town and post office address. The Italianate Romanesque Revival church maintains a southern facade orientation and is bounded by State Route Highway K on the south and west, a county gravel road named High Street on the north, and a private gravel driveway/parking area serving the church property on the east. Overall measurements of the church are approximately one hundred and twelve feet north to south and seventy-three feet east to west. It was built to seat circa 400 people. The bell tower measures sixty feet in height. The variegated red brick Italianate Romanesque Revival church with an above grade three-coursed concrete foundation with partial basement is surmounted by French method shingled gable roofs. Two symmetrical pilasters punctuate the gable facade; a limestone gable capital surmounts each pilaster. Two pedimented pavilions project slightly from the northern-most bays of the east and west elevations forming a transept. A cross is located at the apex of each pediment. A five-sided apse projects from the center of the northern nave wall and is surmounted by a black shingled roof. Two, one-story, rectangular sacristy/vestry rooms are located in opposite corners on the eastern and western sides of the sanctuary/apse. A 1942 all-brick rectory stands west of the church and is included in the nomination. Both buildings are situated on lots 21 and 22 and are surrounded by a spacious lawn with several parking areas." – National Register Nomination

St. Luger Catholic Church served as the parish church until 1991 at which time it was combined Immaculate Conception Church in Montrose. St. Luger is maintained as a chapel under that parish and is used as a meeting place for the community. Services are held in the church on special occasions. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Type of Church: Chapel

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1840

Date of building construction: 1/1/1927

Dominant Architectural Style: Italianate Romanesque Revival

Diocese: Diocese of Kansas City-St Joseph

Address/Location:
Jct. of MO K and High St.
Montrose, Missouri


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.