Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes - Montréal, QC, CAN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Infra-Blue
N 45° 30.849 W 073° 33.593
18T E 612483 N 5041076
Quick Description: Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes, double centenaire / Twice centenary chapel Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 2/26/2015 1:33:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMNE68
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 5

Long Description:
La chapelle Notre-Dame de Lourdes de Montréal a été construite par les Prêtres de Saint-Sulpice, entre les années 1873 et 1882. Elle a été officiellement ouverte au culte le 30 avril 1881 par Mgr Édouard-Charles Fabre, évêque de Montréal.
Elle est l'œuvre de l'architecte québécois Napoléon Bourassa, père du célèbre homme politique Henri Bourassa. Pour le seconder, il a fait appel au sculpteur Louis-Philippe Hébert, qui a réalisé plusieurs statues dont la Vierge de béton au-dessus du maître-autel dans le sanctuaire, un Archange Saint Michel de bois dans le transept Est, et un Saint Jean également de bois dans le transept Ouest. Parmi les jeunes talents qui participèrent alors au chantier, il faut mentionner Toussaint-Xénophon Renaud ainsi que le peintre François-Édouard Meloche, qui y a commencé une riche carrière.
L'orgue, installé à l'arrière de la nef, est le premier instrument neuf construit et installé par l'entreprise Casavant Frères de Saint-Hyacinthe, en 1880-1881. Le buffet, dessiné par Bourassa lui-même, la tuyauterie et la façade sont d'origine.

---------------------

The Chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes in Montreal was built by the Priests of Saint Sulpice, between the years 1873 and 1882. It was officially opened for worship April 30, 1881 by Bishop Édouard-Charles Fabre, Bishop of Montreal.
It is the work of architect Quebec Napoléon Bourassa, father of the famous politician Henri Bourassa. To assist him, he appealed to the sculptor Louis-Philippe Hébert, who made several statues whose concrete Virgin above the altar in the sanctuary a Archangel Michael Wood in the east transept and a Saint Jean also wood in the west transept. Among the young talents who then participated in the project, it should be mentioned Toussaint-Xenophon Renaud and the painter François-Édouard Meloche, who started a rich career.
The organ, installed at the rear of the nave, is the first new instrument built and installed by the company Casavant Frères de Saint-Hyacinthe in 1880-1881. The buffet designed by Bourassa himself, piping and the facade are original.

Source : Wikipedia (french text)
Type of Church: Chapel

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 4/30/1881

Date of building construction: 1/1/1837

Diocese: Diocese de Montreal

Address/Location:
1280 rue Berri
Montréal, Québec Canada
H2L 4S6


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CONPER visited Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes - Montréal, QC, CAN 4/9/2015 CONPER visited it