Benchmark, St Mary le Tower - Ipswich, Suffolk
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 03.513 E 001° 09.316
31U E 373528 N 5769156
Quick Description: Cut benchmark on north west corner of St Mary le Tower church, Ipswich
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/10/2015 1:09:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMNC2A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Axel-F
Views: 2

Long Description:
Cut benchmark on north west corner of St Mary le Tower church, Ipswich

Although medieval, the church mostly dates from 1860-1870, when it was rebuilt by Richard Phipson. Funded by George Bacon, banker and philanthropist. St Mary Le Tower is mentioned in the Domesday book saying the site has been occupied since 1086.

The old church was effectively demolished in the 1860s, and a new one built in its place. The old foundations were used, with an extension towards Northgate Street, which is why the northern part of the churchyard is so severely cut off.
Visit Instructions:
1. A closeup photo of the monument is required.
2. A 'distant' photo including the monument in the view is recommended.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest European Historic Survey Stones, Monuments and Benchmarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.