Kirche St. Jakob - Sissach, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 27.937 E 007° 48.587
32T E 410302 N 5257595
Quick Description: The Reformed church St. Jakob from 1525 in the historic center of Sissach.
Location:
Date Posted: 1/13/2015 8:03:08 AM
Waymark Code: WMN7KJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 1

Long Description:
EN: "The Church of Sissach is located in the old village center. An archaeological analysis uring the renovation 1965/66 showed that there was already a church in the 7th Century. The early Romanesque church was superseded by a late Romanesque and early Gothic one, of which only the tower has remained. Nave and chancel of the existing building were established in 1525, shortly before the Reformation. In 1613 the tower was raised by one floor. 1641 the church received a new pulpit made by Peter Hoch from Liestal. A little later two heads stalls were added. Later enlargements were made in the west gallery and a choir was installed. The total restoration of 1965/66 reverted the church back to its former shape. The longitudinal rectangular nave is dominated by the tower in the southwest corner. Next to it follows the chorus with three-sided octangular closure and vestry on the north side. The main entrance and the tracery windows are masterpieces of late Gothic stonework." (Translated from www.baselland.ch)

DE: "Die Kirche von Sissach liegt inmitten des alten Dorfkerns. Die während der Renovation von 1965/66 durchgeführte Bodenforschung zeigte, dass hier bereits im 7. Jahrhundert eine Kirche bestand. Auf eine frühromanische Kirche folgte eine spätromanische und eine frühgotische, von welcher sich der Turm erhalten hat. Schiff und Chor des bestehenden Baues entstanden im Jahre 1525, also kurz vor der Reformation. Im Jahre 1613 wurde der Turm um ein Geschoss erhöht. 1641 erhielt die Kirche eine neue Kanzel von Meister Peter Hoch aus Liestal. Wenig später erhielt die Kirche zwei Häuptergestühle. Später erfolgten Vergrösserungen der Westempore und der Einbau eine Chorempore. Die Gesamtrestaurierung von 1965/66 gab der Kirche wieder die ehemalige Gestalt zurück. Das längsrechteckige Langhaus wird in der Südwestecke durch den eingebauten Turm bestimmt. Ihm schliesst sich der eingezogene Chor mit dreitseitigem Achteckabschluss und Sakristei auf der Nordseite an. Hauptportal und Masswerkfenster sind Meisterwerke der spätgotischen Steinmetzkunst." (Quelle: Inventar der geschützten Kulturdenkmäler BL, siehe Link)
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Evangelisch-reformierte Landeskirche des Kantons Basel-Landschaft

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
Schulstrasse 8
Sissach, BL Switzerland
4450


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1525

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.