Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche - Arlesheim, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 29.563 E 007° 36.875
32T E 395645 N 5260850
Quick Description: The evangelical-reformed church of Arlesheim was built in 1911 and listed as a heritage site of regional significance in 1970.
Location:
Date Posted: 1/13/2015 2:12:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMN7JV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: After the reformation in Basel in 1528 Arlesheim returned to the Roman Catholic denomination in 1582 and stayed predominantly Roman Catholic for about 300 years.

The early industrialization - Switzerland's first mechanical silk-factory was built in Arlesheim in 1830 - and the related migration movement let the number of reformed inhabitants grow.

In 1856 Daniel August Alioth (the owner of aforementioned factory and son of its founder) built a reformed chapel in the garden of his mansion. A reformed parish was established in 1882. In the early 20th century Alioth donated the parish a piece of land and a public call for proposals resulted in 107 submissions. On February 21st 1910 three winners were chosen. For financial reasons the third ranked proposal by E. LaRoche und A. Staehelin was chosen and built in 1911.

In 1970 the church was listed as a regional heritage site and renovated with only minor modifications.

It is a neo-romanesque building with a bell tower and several annexes. The front face is characterized by a porch with the entrance and two large distinctive windows in the shape of archways.

When the church was built it was located at the border of town, but meanwhile it is surrounded by a residential area of the growing municipality.

DE: Nach der Reformation in Basel 1528 kehrte Arlesheim im Jahr 1582 zur römisch-katholischen Konfession zurück und blieb für etwa 300 Jahre überwiegend römisch-katholisch.

Die frühe Industrialisierung - die erste mechanische Seidenfabrik der Schweiz wurde im Jahre 1830 in Arlesheim gebaut - und die damit verbundenen Migrationsbewegung liessen die Zahl der reformierten Einwohner im 19. Jahrhundert wachsen.

Im Jahr 1856 baute Daniel August Alioth (der Besitzer der oben genannten Fabrik und Sohn des Gründers) eine reformierte Kapelle für seine Angestellten im Garten seines Anwesens. Eine reformierte Kirchgemeinde wurde 1882 gegründet und zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts stiftete Alioth der Pfarrei ein Stück Land; nach einer öffentlichen Aufforderung zur Einreichung von Vorschlägen gab es 107 Einsendungen. Am 21. Februar 1910 wurden drei Gewinner ausgewählt. Aus finanziellen Gründen wurde der drittplatzierte Vorschlag von E. LaRoche und A. Staehelin gewählt und im Jahre 1911 gebaut.

Im Jahr 1970 wurde die Kirche als regionales Kulturerbe gelistet und mit nur geringen Modifikationen renoviert.

Es ist ein neo-romanischer Bau mit Glockenturm und mehreren Nebengebäuden. Die Vorderseite ist gepägt durch eine Vorhalle mit dem Eingang und zwei großen, markanten Fenster in der Form von Bögen.

Als die Kirche gebaut wurde, lag sie an der Dorfgrenzet, aber inzwischen ist sie von einem Wohnviertel umgeben.
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Evangelisch-reformierte Landeskirche des Kantons Basel-Landschaft

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
Galenweg 18
Arlesheim, BL Switzerland
4144


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1911

Architect: E. LaRoche / A. Staehelin

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.