Wehrkirche St. Arbogast - Muttenz, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 31.340 E 007° 38.724
32T E 398024 N 5264100
Quick Description: The Reformed parish church of Muttenz is the only completely intact fortified church of Switzerland.
Location:
Date Posted: 1/11/2015 7:03:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMN7BW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 1

Long Description:
EN: St. Arbogast is the last completely intact fortified church in Switzerland.

The history of this church dates back to the 5th century when a wooden church was built, maybe on the foundation wall of a abandoned Roman building. A first stone church of the 8th or 9th century was replaced by a newer building around 1000, and in the 12th century a church in Romanesque style was built but stayed unfinished. Finally the earthquake of 1356 demolished substantial parts of the church.

After 1359 the present church was finished. It was fortified in 1420 to serve as shelter for the population in danger, because the older castles on the nearby Wartenberg were also partially destroyed in the earthquake. In the 19th century there were plans to demolish the building, but some active citizens managed to save the monument. The church was completely restored in the 1970s, several wall paintings of the 15th century were uncovered the that were overpainted in the reformation.

The curch, the churchyard and the ossuary are surrounded by a 7 meters high ring wall with battlements and two gate towers. Outside the wall there are two adjoining buildings from the 16th and 17th century.

St. Arbogast is still actively used as the Evangelical-Reformed parish church of Muttenz.

DE: St. Arbogast ist die einzig komplett erhaltene Wehrkirche der Schweiz.

Die Geschichte der Kirche reicht ins 5. Jahrhundert zurück als eine Holzkirche erbaut wurde, möglicherweise auf den Grundmauern eines verlassenen römischen Gebäudes. Ein festes Gebäude entstand dann im 8. oder 9. Jahrhundert und wurde um 1000 ersetzt. Im 12. Jahrhundert wurde ein Neubau im romanischen Stil begonnen, aber nie ganz vollendet. Das Erdbeben von Basel 1356 zerstörte grosse Teile dieser Kirche.

Ab 1359 wurde die Kirche repariert und vollendet. 1420 wurde sie mit den Ringmauern verstärkt, um den Bewohnern des Dorfes als Schutz in Notzeiten zu dienen, da die alten Fluchtburgen auf dem nahegelegenen Wartenberg ebenfalls zerstört waren. Im 19. Jahrhundert wurde der Abbruch beschlossen, aber der Einsatz von aktiven Bürgern konnte dieses Denkmal erhalten. In den 1970er Jahren wurde die Kirche vollständing renoviert, dabei kamen auch einige Wandmalereien aus dem 15. Jahrhundert zum Vorschein, die in der Reformation übermalt worden waren.

Die Kirche mit Kirchhof und Beinhaus ist von einer 7 Meter hohen Ringmauer mit Zinnen und zwei Tortürmen umgeben. An der aussenseite der Mauer befinden sich noch zwei Nebengebäude aus dem 16. und 17. Jahrhundert.

St. Arbogast wird noch aktiv genutzt und dient als evangelisch-reformierte Pfarrkirche von Muttenz.
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Evangelical-Reformed Church of the Canton Basel-Landschaft

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
Kirchplatz 1
Muttenz, BL Switzerland
4132


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1359

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.