Leonhardskirche - Basel, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 33.304 E 007° 35.269
32T E 393755 N 5267815
Quick Description: A medieval monastery church in the center of Basel, reformed since 1529.
Location:
Date Posted: 1/10/2015 3:26:09 PM
Waymark Code: WMN79A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: "The Leonhardskirche is an Evangelical-Reformed church in the city of Basel. The Gothic town and monastery church is dedicated to St. Leonard, it is located in the old town of Grossbasel on Leonhardskirchplatz. From the old town center the church can be accessed via a number of stairways up to the Leonhardsberg. The church is located on a rocky spur of the Basel western plateau, about 17 meters above Barfüsserplatz. It was embedded in the fortification wall of the inner ring of the 12th Century, which is still visible by the huge and artless west wall.

When the first stones were laid for a church of St. Leonard's is not known. It is documented that the construction of a three-aisled Romanesque basilica was begun around the year 1080 that was consecrated in 1118. From this building today remain some of crypt wall paintings from the 12th Century and graves from this period.

In 1135 the church became part of the monastery of the Canons Regular of St. Augustine, new buildings turned the monastery into a large complex.

The Basel earthquake of 1356 destroyed a large part of the church and monastery buildings. On the ruins of the old church a high-Gothic basilica was built around 1360. The crypt was covered with a flat long choir and two chapels (St. Mary's Chapel, Chapel of St. Theobald). In addition, a bell tower was constructed that contains a treadwheel.

After 1481 the church was converted into a three-naved Gothic hall church with a stellar vault. The construction was slow-going. An inscription on a buttress called the year 1492, the building was still unfinished at that time. 1496 the architect Hans Nussdorf took over responsibility for the construction. It was not until 1521 when the vault of the nave was under construction.

The city of Basel acquired the monastery and the church on 31 January 1525. During the Reformation 1529 the altars, images and much more was destroyed and Leonhardskirche became one of the four Protestant churches in the city of Basel (the other being the Cathedral, St. Peter and St. Martin).

The organ from the 18th Century is made by Johann Andreas Silbermann.

From the year 1668 the former convent buildings became the city department for building trade. Its director, superintendent of the buildings, paid the wages to the artisans of the city, from which the name of this complex - "Lohnhof" - is derived. In 1821 the police took over the former monastery and after a major renovation it became the city jail until 1995 when a new prison was built and the old rooms were remodeled. Today it includes a hotel, a restaurant, the musical instrument museum and a basement theater ("Baseldytschi Bihni").

Only a cemetery hall from 1450 adjoining in the north has remained of the other buildings of the former monastery. In the years 1964 to 1968 ther were archaeological investigations and the church was refurbished. Today the church is also used as a concert hall." (translated from German Wikipedia)

DE: "Die Leonhardskirche ist eine evangelisch-reformierte Kirche in der Stadt Basel. Die gotische Stadt- und Stiftskirche ist dem heiligen Leonhard geweiht und steht in der Grossbasler Altstadt am Leonhardskirchplatz. Vom alten Stadtkern zur Kirche führt über zahlreiche Treppenstufen der Leonhardsberg. Die Kirche liegt auf einem Hügelsporn des Basler Westplateaus, 17 Meter über dem Barfüsserplatz. Sie war eingebunden in die Befestigungsanlage des inneren Mauerrings vom 12. Jahrhundert, was noch heute an der sparsam gegliederten riesigen Westwand zu erkennen ist.

Wann die ersten Steine für eine Kirche St. Leonhard gelegt wurden, ist nicht bekannt. Bezeugt ist der Bau einer dreischiffigen romanischen Basilika, der um das Jahr 1080 begonnen und 1118 geweiht wurde. Von diesem Bau existiert heute die Krypta mit einigen Wandmalereien aus dem 12. Jahrhundert und Gräber aus dieser Zeit.

Im Jahr 1135 wurde der Pfarrkirche ein Augustiner-Chorherren-Stift angeschlossen und viele neue Bauten machten das Kloster zu einem umfangreichen Gebäudekomplex.

Das Basler Erdbeben von 1356 zerstörte einen Grossteil der Kirche und der Klostergebäude. Auf den Trümmern der alten Kirche wurde darauf um 1360 eine hochgotische Basilika errichtet. Die Krypta wurde mit einem flach gedeckten Langchor und mit zwei Kapellen (Marienkapelle, Kapelle des Heiligen Theobald) überbaut. Daneben wurde ein Glockenturm errichtet in dem sich ein Tretrad befindet.

Ab dem Jahr 1481 wurde die Kirche in eine dreischiffige gotische Hallenkirche umgebaut und das Kirchenschiff erhielt ein Sterngewölbe. Der Bau ging nur langsam voran. Ein Inschrift an einem Strebepfeiler nennt das Jahr 1492, damals war der Bau noch unfertig. 1496 übernahm der Baumeister Hans Nussdorf den Bau. Erst 1521 war die Wölbung des Langhauses im Bau.

Die Stadt Basel erwarb am 31. Januar 1525 das Kloster und die Kirche. 1529, während der Reformation wurden die Altäre, Bilder und noch vieles mehr zerstört und die Leonhardskirche wurde neben dem Münster, der Peters- und der Martinskirche eine der vier protestantischen Kirchen der Stadt Basel.

Die Orgel aus dem 18. Jahrhundert stammt von Johann Andreas Silbermann.

Ab dem Jahr 1668 war der Lohnhof in den ehemaligen Klostergebäuden untergebracht. Dessen Direktor, Vorsteher über das Bauwesen, bezahlte die Löhne an die Handwerker der Stadt, woraus der Name dieses Komplexes abgeleitet ist. Um 1821 übernahm die Polizei die Klostergebäude und nach einem grossen Umbau wurde das städtische Gefängnis hierhin verlegt. 1995 wurde ein neues Gefängnis gebaut und die ehemaligen Räume wurden umgestaltet. Heute sind hier unter anderem ein Hotel, ein Restaurant, das Musikinstrumentenmuseum sowie ein Kellertheater (Baseldytschi Bihni).

Von den Gebäuden des ehemaligen Klosters ist nur die nördlich anschliessende Friedhofshalle von 1450 übrig geblieben. In den Jahren 1964 bis 1968 erfolgten archäologische Untersuchungen und eine Totalsanierung der Leonhardskirche. In der Kirche werden auch Konzerte gegeben. Mithilfe von Musikern wurde 2009 das Klangverhalten in der Krypta ermittelt." (Wikipedia)
Reformed or Congregational Denomination: Evangelical-Reformed Church of the Canton Basel-Stadt

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
Leonhardskirchplatz 10
Basel, BS Switzerland
4051


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1080

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.