Kamloops United Church - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 40.434 W 120° 19.917
10U E 688511 N 5616958
Quick Description: In 1925 Church Union amalgamated the congregations of the Fourth Avenue Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church of Kamloops. Thereafter they chose to meet in the Methodist Church.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/5/2015 8:18:34 PM
Waymark Code: WMN6QT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Fourth Avenue Methodist church had been built in 1911 and in June of 1925 became the Kamloops United Church, uniting the Methodists and Presbyterians in a single congregation. The church was used by the congregation until 1979, when it was demolished to make room for a new United Church.

This church held its first service in April of 1980. The granite date plaque of the old church was salvaged and remounted in the corner wall of the new church below an identical stone plaque created for the new building.

An Abridged History

The following timeline was extracted from the booklet: Kamloops United Church, We Celebrate: Our Past, Our Present, Our Future by Ross Styles. 1999.

1885 Rev. James Turner held services in Kamloops. He was a Methodist missionary.
1886 First Methodist church built at Seymour and Third Avenue.
1887 First Methodist congregation formed.
1872 First recorded Presbyterian service of public worship with the first congregation formed in 1887.
1911 The Fourth Avenue Methodist Church was built at 4th and St. Paul.
1925 Church Union.
1927 The united churches of Presbyterian and Methodist chose the Fourth Avenue Methodist Church as their home location.
1953 Dr. Grafton donated 46 acre property at Shuswap Lake.
1955 First building built at the Camp Grafton site.
1961 The Christian Education Centre added to the 1911 church.
1969 Thrift Shop opened.
1979 Demolition of the 1911 church building.
1980 (April) First worship service held in the new sanctuary.
2012 The sanctuary building was redeveloped in preparation for demolition and redevelopment of the Christian Education Centre building.
2013 The Opening Ceremony was held in January.

From Kamloops United

United

Reformed or Congregational Denomination: United Church of Canada

Associated Website: [Web Link]

Status: Active House of Worship

Address:
421 St Paul Street
Kamloops, BC Canada
V2C 2J7


Date of Construction or Event Occurrence: 1/1/1979

Architect: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A complete sentence or two or an uploaded photo taken by the waymarker will be required in the log to confirm that the logger is participating in the hobby in good faith. Logs of only a few words like "Visited it" without an original photo are subject to deletion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Continental Reformed and Congregational Church Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.