St Pius X - Narborough, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 34.480 W 001° 12.001
30U E 621976 N 5826478
Quick Description: A modest concrete-framed building dating originally from the late 1950s, originally built as a dual-purpose church and church hall, with some later minor alterations.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/29/2014 10:11:21 AM
Waymark Code: WMN5DB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 1

Long Description:
"A modest concrete-framed building dating originally from the late 1950s, originally built as a dual-purpose church and church hall, with some later minor alterations.

Sunday Mass was said in a doctor’s surgery in Narborough from 1939, then in a room in the Narborough Arms Hotel, served from Blessed Sacrament, Braunstone, Leicester. Through local fund-raising, a site was acquired in the Leicester Road and a small new church-cum-church hall dedicated to the then newly-canonised Pope Pius X was built in 1957-58, from designs by Thomas E. Wilson of Uppingham. The builders were Bray & Oswin of Oadby and approximate cost was £3,400.

Narborough became a separate parish in 1965 and a new presbytery was built in 1967 (from designs by Reynolds & Scott). At about this time the church was refurbished and enlarged by the addition of a sacristy and a separate parish hall. The hall was enlarged and re-fitted in 2004.

The church and hall are contiguous buildings under a single shallow-pitched roof covered with concrete tiles. The building consists of a concrete portal frame of nine bays, with an addition to the hall in plain buff brick. The west front of the church, which is perhaps an addition of the 1960s, is faced in rubble masonry with strap pointing and has an asymmetrical gable and to one side a projecting porch on brick piers. The side walls have continuous strips of timber windows under the eaves with timber panels below."

SOURCE - (visit link)

Diocese: Nottingham

Architect: T.E. Wilson

Original Date: 1958

Conservation Area: No

Modifications: 1966
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Diocese: Nottingham

Address/Location:
St Pius X
Leicester Road
Narborough, Leicestershire England
LE19


Date of organization: Not listed

Date of building construction: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Relvant Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.