1907 - St. Mary's Catholic Cathedral - Cheyenne, WY
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
N 41° 08.245 W 104° 49.117
13T E 515222 N 4554027
Quick Description: Cheyenne's Cathedral of St. Mary is an enduring symbol for Wyoming Catholics.
Location: Wyoming, United States
Date Posted: 12/27/2014 9:53:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMN4XK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team Sieni
Views: 0

Long Description:
"St. Mary's is a lofty, white sandstone English Gothic cathedral in the heart of Cheyenne. It was not until 1902, with the arrival of the third bishop of the Diocese of Cheyenne, James J. Keane, that progress was made toward the erection of a cathedral in the city which in 1890 has become the state capitol. The creation of Cheyenne Diocese had not been anticipated in the early days of Cheyenne settlement, and since the congregation, which was now known as St. Mary's had outgrown its modest brick church at 19th and Carey, Bishop Keane set himself to the task of erecting a suitable cathedral and bishop's residence. The site chosen for the new cathedral was on Capitol Avenue. On July 7, 1907 amid a throng of 5000 people, the cornerstone of the cathedral building was laid. On January 31, 1909 in a ceremony attended by the most impressive gathering of Catholic ecclesiastics held in Wyoming St. Mary's Cathedral was dedicated." (from (visit link) )

"Just forty years after the railroad arrived and Cheyenne was established with no promise of ever being anything more than a temporary camp, construction of today's Cathedral was begun in 1906. Bishop James J. Keane and Reverend James A. Duffy worked to acquire the ideal site and necessary funds to begin construction.

According to contemporary accounts, on Sunday July 7, 1907, 5,000 people thronged to the solemn laying of the cornerstone of the Cathedral by Bishop Richard Scannell of Omaha, Nebraska.

Intense feelings of community and state pride were summed up by Governor Brooks: "Our hearts throb with pride at the thought that this beautiful stone was quarried from Wyoming ledges; that the brain, the brawn, the money with which finally is to see that the capstone is in place, are all Wyoming. Upon this cornerstone will be a grand Cathedral."

Those sentiments were echoed on January 31, 1909, when the Cathedral was consecrated by Bishop Maurice F. Burke of St. Joseph, Missouri, who had been Cheyenne's first bishop (1887-1893), and by Bishop John P. Carroll of Helena, Montana, who delivered the first sermon.

They observed that the Cathedral bore witness to years of work and dedication of pastors and parishioners and gave evidence of material and spiritual progress in Wyoming.

The magnificent structure, the Cathedral of St. Mary, stood with noble Gothic lines against the clear blue Wyoming sky then as it does today -- its tower visible for miles. Architects Fisher and Lowery from Omaha, Nebraska, used the architectural style of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in their design. The Cathedral measuring 135 feet in length and 70 feet at the transept was built entirely of Wyoming grey sandstone.

Large arches of steel and concrete trimmed with oak spanned the interior celing. Two side gallaries, a choir loft, a vestibule, and a sacristy completed the structure.

The building, with its interior decorations, totaled $125,000 and was debt-free when completed. Stained glass windows in the body of the church, in the galleries, and on the side walls of the sanctuary were imported from Europe and donated as memorials. The large Madonna window in the choir loft was also imported from Europe and was a gift of the Knights of Columbus.

Father Duffy served St. Mary's Cathedral and its parishioners for nine years before becoming Bishop of Kearney. For the following two years (1913-1915), Bishop McGovern took charge of the Parish as well as the administration of the Diocese of Cheyenne.

Reverend James A. Hartmann began a lengthy and challenging pastorate of 58 years on May 1, 1915. Father Hartmann also became the administrator of St. Mary's School. Just as all of his endeavors met with great vigor, he took an active interest in the school -- teaching German and religion classes.

A modern school building, which became St. Mary's High School, a new St. Mary's Grade School, an addition connecting the two schools, a larger convent, and a building known for almost 40 years as the Cathedral Hall -- all were part of ambitious building projects completed by Father Hartmann.

Father Hartmann was installed as Domestic Prelate by Bishop Hubert M. Newell at an impressive ceremony in the Cathedral on February 16, 1952. The Right Reverend Monsignor, as he was then known, continued with the work of the parish in his seemingly tireless manner." (from (visit link) )
Year of construction: 1907

Full inscription:
St. Mary's + 1907 + Cathedral


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.