Justus Cemetery - Oxford, IN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kc9pdy
N 40° 30.799 W 087° 14.938
16T E 478908 N 4484761
Quick Description: Justus cemetery is located on the south side of the small Benton, Indiana town of Oxford, near the country club golf course.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 12/4/2014 11:39:05 PM
Waymark Code: WMN10A
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Max Cacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
Justus cemetery is located on the south side of the small Benton, Indiana town of Oxford, near the country club golf course. The original entrance has a pair of wrought iron gates, under an arched sign that reads "Justus Cemetery".

According to Find A Grave (visit link) there are currently 1130 burials in this cemetery.

----

Oxford is a town in Oak Grove Township, Benton County, Indiana. The population was 1,162 at the 2010 census.

Oxford was Benton County's first town. Commissioners appointed by the Indiana General Assembly selected the location in May 1843 to be the site of the county seat on land donated by Henry W. Ellsworth and David Watkinson. It was first called Milroy in honor of Samuel Milroy, one of the commissioners, but a town in Rush County already bore that name. In October 1843 the commissioners changed it to Hartford, after Hartford, Connecticut (the home of Ellsworth and Watkins), but they discovered this name was also already being used in Indiana, so in December Judge David J. McConnell awarded the town its present name.

Lots went up for sale at this time, with buyers allowed to pay for the lots in three installments over 18 months. The first building erected in Oxford was a two-story, wooden frame courthouse, designed and built by Francis Boynton, and the second was a hotel, built by Henry L. Ellsworth and operated by James L. Hatton. The first home was that of Aaron Wood, who also ran a small store that supplied groceries, beer and whiskey. Other early establishments in Oxford included the Earl & Carnahan dry goods store and Barnes & Dailey drug store. The town's first lawyer was Jacob Benedict and its first physician Dr. Mayo. An 1883 history also makes mention of the community's first literary society, the Oxford Lyceum. Many additions and expansions to the town were made over subsequent decades, adding several streets and more than 300 lots. On July 7, 1869, a vote was held to determine if Oxford should be incorporated, and passed with 41 in favor and 28 against. The town was dealt a blow, however, when in 1874 it lost its status as county seat to more centrally-located Fowler.

Standardbred horse Dan Patch is arguably the town's best-known native, and was foaled in an Oxford barn on April 29, 1896. The horse gained celebrity status for setting world speed records that remained unbroken until 1960. He continues to be honored at the town's annual Dan Patch Days festival. (visit link)

----

Oak Grove Township is one of eleven townships in Benton County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 1,581. It was one of the first three townships originally created by the county's commissioners in 1840. It takes its name from White Oak Grove which grew southwest of Oxford. The township contains two cemeteries: Justus and Oxford. (visit link)

----

Benton County is located in the northwest part of the U.S. state of Indiana, along the border with Illinois. As of 2010, the county's population was 8,854. It contains six incorporated towns as well as several small unincorporated settlements; it is also divided into 11 townships which provide local services. The county seat is Fowler.

Benton County was formed February 18, 1840. It is named for Thomas H. Benton (D), U.S. Senator from Missouri. The original county seat selected in 1843 was Oxford, but after a long struggle between contending factions it was moved to Fowler in 1874.

In 2008 the Benton County Wind Farm began operating with 87 1.5 MW wind turbines. Duke Energy purchases electricity from the wind farm and sells it to customers through its GoGreen program. In 2009 the Fowler Ridge Wind Farm opened nearby, giving Benton County one of the largest concentrations of wind turbines in the United States east of the Mississippi River. (visit link)
The Name of the Cemetery: yes

City, Town, or Parish / State / Country: yes

Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery: yes

Approximate number of graves: yes

Visit Instructions:

The Name of the Cemetery

City, Town, or Parish / State / Country

Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery

Approximate number of graves

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Worldwide Cemeteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.