Morrison Chapel/ La Rue Cemetery -- La Rue TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 32° 07.453 W 095° 40.223
15S E 248068 N 3557327
Quick Description: The final resting place of many early settlers, this cemetery has been serving the residents of the Morrison Chapel community, now known as La Rue, for over 100 years.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 12/3/2014 6:32:13 AM
Waymark Code: WMN0M5
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Max Cacher
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery holds the remains of many of the early pioneers of this part of east Texas. There are about 700 people buried here as of 2014. The cemetery is still actively in use today.

A historical marker at the front of the cemetery grounds reads as follows:

"MORRISON CHAPEL/ LA RUE CEMETERY

In the late 1850s, the Ralph Hunter league in eastern Henderson County was divided among David O. Warren’s heirs and settlement of this area began in earnest. According to local history, John Dickey Morrison (1830-1896), though not an ordained minister, delivered sermons to the assembled community from a small chapel on this site, which became known as Morrison Chapel. The structure also was used as a school for local children. The community gradually took on the name Morrison Chapel Community.

The first marked burial on this site was that of Carolyn B. Corder (1879-1880), the infant daughter of William J. and Martha Corder. More settlers followed their example, choosing to bury their dead around the chapel. When space was needed for additional graves, the chapel was moved to another location off the cemetery grounds.

The Texas and New Orleans Railroad came through the community in 1901, renaming it La Rue for Joseph Thomas La Rue of Athens, whose efforts helped bring the railroad to this area. The chapel and school building was sold and moved into the town of La Rue in 1903.

John E. Marr of Limestone County owned the property on which the cemetery was located. In 1906, Marr agreed to deed 2 acres to the Morrison Chapel Community. The cemetery gradually became known by local residents as La Rue Cemetery. In 1998 the cemetery held about 550 graves, and was still in use. The burial ground for many area pioneers and their descendants, the Morrison Chapel/La Rue Cemetery remains a record of the pioneer settlers of Henderson County. (1998)"
The Name of the Cemetery: yes

City, Town, or Parish / State / Country: yes

Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery: yes

Approximate number of graves: yes

Visit Instructions:

The Name of the Cemetery

City, Town, or Parish / State / Country

Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery

Approximate number of graves

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Worldwide Cemeteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Benchmark Blasterz visited Morrison Chapel/ La Rue Cemetery -- La Rue TX 12/4/2014 Benchmark Blasterz visited it