Hogtown - Hemphill County, TX
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 35° 56.315 W 100° 22.201
14S E 376424 N 3978003
Quick Description: Forerunner to Canadian, once it moved to the railroad
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/26/2014 4:28:57 AM
Waymark Code: WMMQGF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Blue J Wenatchee
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of ghosttown: Hemphill County
Location of ghosttown: US-60/83 & FM-2266, N. of river, about 1/2 mile N. of Canadian
Marker erected by: State Historical Survey Committee
Date marker erected: 1969

Marker text:

Former Site of
HOGTOWN
Forerunner of town of Canadian. Sprang up, 1886, as a tent city for railroad gang working on Southern Kansas line. Named for poor appearance - like a hogpen. After landowner Sam Polland and railroad disputed price for land, line moved across river, taking populace with it.

"Hogtown, was Hemphill County's first settlement and the forerunner of the county seat, Canadian. It rose on the north bank of the Canadian River, near its junction with Clear Creek, late in 1886 as a camp for the construction crews of the Southern Kansas (Panhandle and Santa Fe) Railroad. Soon the town won considerable notoriety as a "desperado city." Saloons, gambling dens, and stores were erected, and tents were pitched for temporary sleeping quarters. Sam Pollard, a local rancher, constructed a hotel and restaurant. The brothers John J. and George Gerlach, who had operated a mercantile store for ranchers on Horse Creek since 1884, moved their one-room establishment to Hogtown.

The name Hogtown was supposedly derived from the town's generally shabby appearance and seamy atmosphere. One former resident, however, later stated that the town was so named because everyone was subject to the imperative "root, hog, or die." A dispute between Pollard and the railroad company over the price of town lots, along with the founding of Canadian on the south bank after completion of a bridge in 1887, led to Hogtown's rapid demise. Only a few settlers remained at the site, which was renamed Clear Creek. A schoolhouse, which doubled as a church, was in use until 1913. For years thereafter, a siding and flag station for the Santa Fe line retained the name." ~ TSHA online

Reason for Abandonment: Economic

Date Abandoned: 7/4/1888

Related Web Page: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please include a unique picture or two with your log if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ghost Towns
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.