Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 52° 31.124 E 013° 24.089
33U E 391537 N 5819936
Quick Description: The current Berliner Dom (English: Berlin Cathedral) was constructed in 1905 in the Neo-Renaissance architectural style.
Location: Berlin, Germany
Date Posted: 10/25/2014 4:24:22 PM
Waymark Code: WMMQDK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 7

Long Description:
"Berlin Cathedral (German: Berliner Dom) is the short name for the Evangelical (i.e. Protestant) Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church (German: Oberpfarr- und Domkirche) in Berlin, Germany. It is located on Museum Island in the Mitte borough. The current building was finished in 1905 and is a main work of Historicist architecture of the "Kaiserzeit".

The Dom is the parish church of the congregation Gemeinde der Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin, a member of the umbrella organisation Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia. The Berlin Cathedral has never been a cathedral in the actual sense of that term since it has never been the seat of a bishop. The bishop of the Evangelical Church in Berlin-Brandenburg (under this name 1945–2003) is based at St. Mary's Church and Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin. St. Hedwig's Cathedral serves as the seat of Berlin's Roman Catholic metropolitan bishop."

--Source (visit link)

"The history of the Cathedral on Berlin’s Spree Island began in 1465, when the St. Erasmus Chapel in the newly built royal palace of Cölln on the Spree was elevated to the stature of collegiate church. The German name for the Cathedral, “Dom”, can be traced back to the term “Domkirche”, which was used for such collegiate churches at that time. In 1536, Elector Joachim II moved the “Dom” into the former Dominican church, south of the palace.

With Martin Luther’s support, the elector established the Reformation in 1539, and the “Dom” became a Lutheran church. In 1608, the collegiate church was dissolved, and the Dom was declared the highest parish church in Cölln on the Spree. When Elector Johann Sigismund converted to Calvinism in 1613, the Cathedral became Court and Parish Church.

From 1747 to 1750, Frederick the Great commissioned Johann Boumann the Elder to build a new baroque building to the north of the city palace. After the coffins were transferred from the crypt, the old, dilapidated Cathedral was torn down.

On the occasion of the union of Prussia’s Lutheran and Reformed communities, the interior and exterior of the Cathedral were renovated. The classicistic conversion by Karl Friedrich Schinkel was completed in 1822."

--Source (visit link)
Address:
Am Lustgarten Berlin, Germany 10178


Religious affiliation: United Protestant, originally Roman Catholic, from 1539 on Lutheran, Calvinist since 1613, from 1817 on Evangelical Protestant

Date founded or constructed: 1451 (first building), ca. 1345 (2nd bldg), 1750 (3rd bldg), 1905 (4th bldg), 1993 reinaugurated after removal of war destructions

Web site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
1.Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible
2.Provide at least one original photograph – no need to include your GPS in the picture
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Cathedrals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Dirkjogt visited Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany 3/14/2015 Dirkjogt visited it
dschinny visited Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany 12/6/2014 dschinny visited it
Eibacher Kuckuck visited Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany 10/30/2014 Eibacher Kuckuck visited it
fern ab visited Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany 10/26/2014 fern ab visited it
zh9 visited Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany 9/2/2014 zh9 visited it
Tante.Hossi visited Berliner Dom - Berlin, Germany 6/4/2006 Tante.Hossi visited it

View all visits/logs