Holy Rosary Catholic Church - Warrenton, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 48.702 W 091° 08.188
15S E 661800 N 4297530
Quick Description: Parish priest recently changed, again, I missed his name at mass Sunday. Google has School marked on the church building in error
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 10/23/2014 6:29:05 AM
Waymark Code: WMMQ26
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of church: Warren County
Location of church: 724 E. Boonslick Rd., Warrenton
Phone: 636-456-3698

Jesuit Fathers had ventured West in the late 1850's with Fr. P.M. O'Neill being the first priest to visit our area regularly in 1865. By 1868 the priest and a small group felt a church building was necessary, Our first church, a long , one room frame building, was erected in 1868 in Truesdale, The cornerstone was laid on All Saint's Day in 1868. By 1874, Fr. John J. Head came by railroad "hand car" over the Wabash tracks from Montgomery City once a month. Under Fr. Head's guidance, a second church was built, larger in size and made of bricks made locally. A large bell was ordered and brought from Cincinnati, Ohio to Washington, Mo. The bell was then hauled by drayage and proudly hung in the belfry. It was with this building that our small mission church became Holy Rosary, the cornerstone laid on the feast of Most Holy Rosary, the first Sunday of October, 1882. A third church was completed in 1922.

Holy Rosary School opened on September 8, 1952 in the brick building formerly known as the East Cottage of the old Central Wesleyan Orphan Home. The building also held a chapel, meeting hall, kitchen and laundry facilities.

The fourth and present church was built and dedicated on August 22, 1965. The historic bell was placed in a special belfry in front of the new church.

The Activity center was built in 1979 to accommodate the tremendous growth of the parish.

Our present school was completed in the fall of 1985." ~ Holy Rosary web site

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1853

Date of building construction: 8/22/1965

Dominant Architectural Style: Modern

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Old Bell, Grotto of Blessed Virgin

Archdiocese: St. Louis

Diocese: St. Louis

Address/Location:
724 E. Boonslcik Rd.
Warrenton, MO USA
63383


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.