North Ealing Underground Station - Station Road, West Acton, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 31.052 W 000° 17.348
30U E 688080 N 5710863
Quick Description: North Ealing tube station serves London Underground's Piccadilly Line. The entrance and ticket hall are on the south east side of Station Road with the platforms and tracks being at the same level. A footbridge connects the platforms.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/16/2014 10:38:43 AM
Waymark Code: WMMNWT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
Views: 0

Long Description:

Wikipedia has an article about North Ealing tube station that tells us:

North Ealing is a London Underground station on the Uxbridge branch of the Piccadilly line between Ealing Common and Park Royal. The station is located on Station Road, a short distance from the junction of Queens Drive and Hanger Lane (A406, North Circular Road). It is in Travelcard Zone 3.

West Acton station on the Central line is located about 550 metres to the east at the other end of Queens Drive.

North Ealing station was opened on 23 June 1903 by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on its new extension from north of Ealing Common to Park Royal & Twyford Abbey (closed and replaced by Park Royal in 1931), where the Royal Agricultural Society's Park Royal show grounds had been recently opened. The line was opened fully to South Harrow on 28 June 1903.

This new extension was, together with the existing tracks between Ealing Common & Acton Town, the first section of the Underground's surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains. The Deep level tube lines open at that time (City & South London Railway, Waterloo & City Railway and Central London Railway) had been electrically powered from the start.

North Ealing was the only station on the South Harrow branch not rebuilt in the 1930s to the "Holden" style for the start of the Piccadilly Line service. It retains its slightly rural air as a result. An 1930s railway sub-station is built alongside the Eastbound platform and is typical of the LPTB brick and concrete architectural style of the period.

On 4 July 1932 the Piccadilly line was extended to run west of its original terminus at Hammersmith sharing the route with the District line to Ealing Common. From Ealing Common to South Harrow, the District line was replaced by the Piccadilly line and, from this date, District line trains west from Ealing Common ran to Ealing Broadway only.

London Buses routes 83 and 112 serve the station.

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.