St. Paul's Pro Cathedral - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 40.335 W 120° 19.944
10U E 688486 N 5616774
Quick Description: The oldest part of this cathedral was built in 1888 as the headquarters of the Kamloops Missionary District, established in 1884. In 1924 the building was moved from Victoria Street and additions made.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/13/2014 11:32:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMMFHV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
Wikipedia has an interesting, albeit short, article on the fall from grace of the cathedral. Though it retains its title of "Cathedral" it was downgraded to a church with the dissolution of the former Anglican Diocese of Cariboo on December 31, 2001.

"St Paul's Cathedral, Kamloops, was the cathedral of the former Anglican Diocese of Cariboo, which was dissolved because of its inability to meet tort judgments against it in respect of abuse in Indian residential schools. The former diocese is now designated the "Parishes of the Central Interior" and they are served not by a diocesan bishop of their own but by a suffragan bishop to the Metropolitan of British Columbia. The parish church of St Paul's in Kamloops nevertheless retains its nominal designation as a cathedral and its rector that of a dean, despite there being no diocese to be dean of. The building is an extremely modest one both in size and furniture and fittings.

The Bishop having responsibility for the Parishes of the Central Interior is Rt. Rev. Barbara Andrews; the Dean is the Very Rev. Louise Peters. Other clergy of the former cathedral are the Rev. Dan Hines and the Rev. Canon Jack Phelps."

From Wikipedia

Biographical History

St. Paul's began as the headquarters of the Kamloops Missionary District which was established in 1884. This field of activity included all points south of Kamloops to the international boundary and east to the Rocky Mountains, as well as Ashcroft and the Nicola Valley. By 1892 the Kamloops Missionary District had been divided, creating four new missions: Ashcroft and Nicola; the Okanagan Missionary District, including Enderby, Vernon and Penticton; Donald and Golden Missionary District; and Kootenay (or Nelson) Missionary District. By 1917, with the removal of the Thompson River Mission into a separate pastoral responsibility, St. Paul's became a single congregation urban parish. In 1935 Bishop George Wells designated Kamloops the See City and St. Paul's Church the Cathedral. St. Paul's was also responsible for services at St. Peter's, Monte Creek from 1966 until the mid-1970's.
From Memory BC

St. Paul's

Address:
360 Nicola St. Kamloops, BC V2C 2P5


Religious affiliation: Anglican

Date founded or constructed: 1884

Web site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
1.Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible
2.Provide at least one original photograph – no need to include your GPS in the picture
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Cathedrals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.