St. Mary's Catholic Church - Enderby, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 32.225 W 119° 08.449
11U E 348296 N 5600537
Quick Description: This little wood framed Roman Catholic Church has stood behind the present day site of Super Save Gas on the southern outskirts of Enderby for nearly 100 years.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/7/2014 4:30:13 PM
Waymark Code: WMME62
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church is just visible in the trees on the west side of Highway 97, almost directly behind the gas station. Civilization has slowly encroached upon it, but it has remained steadfast.

The first Roman Catholic in the Spallumcheen area was built in the early 1890s, on the reserve of the Spallumcheen Band of the Shuswap Nation south of Enderby, which served until it burned to the ground in 1911. The only thing saved was the statue of the Blessed Mother, which is now in this church. (Okanagan Historical Society [OHS])

Its replacement, this St. Mary's Church, was not built until 1918. This time it was built at the southern edge of the town of Enderby instead of on the reserve. The second church was built to serve, not only the Spallumcheen First Nations People, but the Catholic townspeople of Enderby, as well.

Again, we are presented with conflicting dates and facts. The Okanagan Historical Society, in its Fifty Seventh Report, 1993, Pages 83 to 86, states the above, whereas the Enderby & District Heritage Commission plaque at the church states that the first church burned in 1916 and several items were saved. There seems to be agreement, however, on the opening date of this church, 1918. Given that the plaque states that work commenced on construction of a new church in 1916, the year it also states that the old church burned, we tend to put more credence in the facts as stated by the latter.

The church remains in use, holding services at 1:00 PM on Sundays. The late hour is due to the fact that the priest is shared with another church, very likely St. Joseph's in nearby Armstrong.

St. Mary's Catholic Church
Enderby Indian Reserve #2

The original St. Mary's Catholic Church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground in 1916. That church was located near the Splats'in Band Cemetery On Highway 97 south of Enderby. Families living near the church were able to save the bell, altar and some of the statues. In 1916, men from the Splats'in community, along with an Oblate Priest, began to saw trees from the reserve to haul to Armstrong to be milled into lumber. Under the guidance of the Priest, the men used the lumber to build the existing church. The structure was similar to Churches in Europe.

The new St. Mary's Church was completed in 1918. It stands today as a place for community members of Splats'in to gather in prayer, weddings, baptismals, confirmations and funerals.

Enderby & District Heritage Commission
From the plaque at the church

St. Mary's

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1918

Dominant Architectural Style: Pioneer Gothic

Diocese: Diocese of Kamloops

Address/Location:
Canyon Road at Highway 97
Enderby, BC Canada
V0E 1V0


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.