The Chapel - Pandosy Mission - Kelowna, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 50.979 W 119° 28.059
11U E 322609 N 5524834
Quick Description: This little log chapel, built by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, was the first building to go up at Pandosy Mission. It was the first Roman Catholic church in the BC interior. It was restored in 1954, 96 years after its construction in 1860.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 9/3/2014 12:11:10 PM
Waymark Code: WMMD6P
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Chapel

The Immaculate Conception Mission Chapel was the first original two story building constructed in 1860.

It is a simple pioneer vernacular dovetailed cedar log structure with a gable roof. The building was constructed by Brother Surel OMI., the carpenter of the group, along with Father Pandosy OMI and Father Richard OMI. The lower floor was used as a Chapel while the upstairs was used as a school and living quarters for the priests.

In 1954 the Chapel was restored by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, (OMI) and the Father Pandosy Knights of Columbus #2558. The lower logs were restored in 1983 by B.T. lnnerprizes of Barkerville, B.C.
From the Sign at the Building

Immaculate Conception Mission
Founded in 1859 by Father Charles Marie Pandosy, an Oblate Missiomary, to serve the Native Okanagan People, this was the first Roman Catholic Mission in the interior of British Columbia.

Within the Okanagan Valley the mission was the first permanent non-native settlement, site of the first school and place where the first fruit and vine crops were grown.

Restored in 1958. Designated a Provincial Heritage Site in 1983. Operated by the Okanagan Historical Society.
From the Sign at the entrance to the mission

Chapel Chapel
Chapel Chapel
Chapel Chapel

Type of Church: Chapel

Status of Building: Building converted to another use

Date of organization: 1/1/1859

Date of building construction: 1/1/1860

Dominant Architectural Style: Pioneer Vernacular

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Statue of Father Charles Marie Pandosy

Diocese: Diocese of Nelson

Address/Location:
3685 Benvoulin Road
Kelowna, BC Canada
V1W 4M7


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.