Josephine, TX - Population 1246
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 02.485 W 096° 21.264
14S E 747060 N 3658989
Quick Description: Josephine, TX, population 1246 as of this posting. This sign is located on the south side of FM 6, at the western city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 7/24/2014 9:35:42 AM
Waymark Code: WMM5B5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Handbook of Texas Online has this to say about Josephine: (visit link)

Josephine is on Farm Road 1777 near the Sabine River in the heart of the Blackland Prairies four miles east of Lavon Lake in southeastern Collin County. It was established in 1888, when the tracks of the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway reached the area, and named in honor of the daughter of J. C. Hubbard, who donated land for the townsite. That same year a post office was established. Josephine quickly became a retail market center for area farmers. The town's population increased from around 200 in 1900 to well over 500 by the mid-1920s. By 1930 the community had paved roads, electricity, a public school, a bank, and fifteen businesses. The Great Depression, however, reduced the number of residents to 350 by 1940. Josephine was incorporated in 1955. Mechanization of farming and job opportunities in the Dallas area combined to decrease the population to just under 300 by 1960, but by 1982 it had increased to 416. In 1990 Josephine's population was reported as 503, and the town had expanded into Hunt County. The population increased to 594 in 2000.
Address: Western city limit, FM 6

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
QuarrellaDeVil visited Josephine, TX - Population 1246 7/23/2014 QuarrellaDeVil visited it