Nevada, TX - Population 671
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 02.577 W 096° 24.454
14S E 742090 N 3659035
Quick Description: Nevada, TX, population 671 as of this posting. This sign is located on the south side of FM 6, at the western city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 7/23/2014 8:58:46 PM
Waymark Code: WMM58W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 2

Long Description:
Given the growth of Collin County, it is likely that Nevada will rise again, maybe in time for the 100th anniversary of the tornado which destroyed the town. The Handbook of Texas Online has this to say about Nevada, which is named for what we now call the State of Nevada, but which is pronounced by the locals as "nuh-VAY-duh:"

Nevada is on Farm Road 1138 two miles east of Lavon Lake in southeastern Collin County. The rich soils of the Blackland Prairies and the water provided by Bear Creek attracted settlers to the area as early as the mid-1840s. The first organized community in the area was McMinn Chapel, established in the early 1840s four miles north of the site of present Nevada. For the most part the residents of the community were the family and friends of its founder, John McMinn. In 1861 Granville Stinebaugh moved to Texas from Missouri and purchased 160 acres of land near McMinn Chapel. Shortly thereafter the town of Nevada was established on his farm and named by Stinebaugh in honor of Nevada Territory, which he had passed through on his way to search for gold in California. The town received a post office on August 3, 1880. Eight years later the tracks of the St. Louis Southwestern Railway reached the community. In 1889 Nevada incorporated, choosing an aldermanic form of government. From the 1880s to the 1920s Nevada served as a retail market for a small but populous farming territory. The population of the town grew from an estimated fifty in 1885 to 578 in 1920. By 1925 Nevada provided its 625 residents with paved roads, electricity, a telephone exchange, twenty-five businesses, and a high school. On May 9, 1927, a tornado struck the town. Twenty-seven people were killed, seventy-five were injured, and approximately $1 million in property damage occurred. Nevada never recovered from this disaster. The Great Depression and the mechanization of farming further retarded the growth of the town. By 1950 the population had decreased to 386, and it remained near this figure for the next thirty years. In 1980 Nevada had an estimated 400 residents served by four businesses. In 1990 the population was 456. The population was 563 in 2000.
Address: Western city limit, FM 6

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ocrazys visited Nevada, TX - Population 671 2/7/2015 ocrazys visited it
QuarrellaDeVil visited Nevada, TX - Population 671 7/23/2014 QuarrellaDeVil visited it

View all visits/logs