Cochrane Ranch (South) Bungalow - Glenwood, AB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 21.251 W 113° 29.028
12U E 319628 N 5469797
Quick Description: This bronze plaque, mounted on a large boulder from the Cochrane Ranch, can be found on the north side of Highway 506, less than a kilometre east of the Glenwood road. It marks the site of the once magnificent Cochrane Ranch Bungalow.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 7/9/2014 5:24:37 PM
Waymark Code: WMM2NX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member GeoKs
Views: 1

Long Description:
The plaque doesn't mention the ultimate fate of the bungalow. It was first used by E.J. Wood himself(see below), then by other families and ranch hands, then finally abandoned after several years. Unfortunately, it was eventually demolished by vandals and the only things left, the stone blocks, were sold to the Palmer Ranch to be used for fences and other things.
Cochrane Ranch Bungalow

Cochrane Ranch Bungalow site located 300 feet north was the home of William Cochrane, son of Senator Mathew Cochrane, President of Cochrane Ranching Company (south) 1883 - 1903.

William Cochrane married Helen May Brisco in England on 3 July 1895. The bride arrived in the NWT, Canada, with house plans for an English bungalow and numerous plants and shrubs to make a showplace of their sandstone bungalow built in 1895 between the Belly and Kootenai Rivers on Cochrane Ranch land, 67,000 acres of chinook belt grazing land leased from the Dominion government.

The Bungalow, with two storeys and eighteen rooms, was modern in every way with a windmill for water pressure, hot water radiators, acetylene gas lighting system, bathroom and sewage disposal. Refinement, wealth and taste was displayed by English fireplaces, red carpets, window seats, a pianola that played Chopin, a country garden with a gazebo, and servants from England.

Senator Cochrane died in 1903. In 1905 the Cochrane Ranch came up for sale. Ranch officials, E.J. Wood, President of the Alberta Stake, Cardston, and the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints of Salt Lake, negotiated for the church to purchase the Cochrane Ranch for colonization under the management of President Wood. The church paid $6 an acre for 66,500 acres, a total of $399,000.

In 1906 President Wood purchased the ranch buildings and improvements for $4,000 and one section of surrounding land for $6 an acre. Glenwood, the adjoining village, was named after President Wood's son, Glen.

Glenwood Historical Society			    New Horizons
    May S. Archibald			                   Wallace Leavitt
    Helen H. Leavitt
    Brenda M. Ferris
    Daniel H. Lybbert
    Trevor C. Hamon

This rock from original Cochrane Ranch property was supplied by Rex Wood.
From the plaque


Type of Marker: Cultural

Sign Age: Historic Site or Building Marker

Parking: The plaque is at a roadside pullout

Placement agency: Glenwood Historical Society & New Horizons

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Alberta Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.