Museum Burghalde - Lenzburg, AG, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 23.136 E 008° 10.961
32T E 438311 N 5248339
Quick Description: The mansion Burghalde in the east of Lenzburg is now the municipal history museum.
Location:
Date Posted: 7/6/2014 7:45:05 AM
Waymark Code: WMM24W
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MikeGolfJ3
Views: 0

Long Description:
EN: Burghalde is a stately home at the foot of the castle hill east of the old town of Lenzburg. The older part was built 1628 in late Gothic style, in the main building is a baroque State Hall was installed in 1704/1718. 1793/94 the new Burghalde was built by Johann Jacob Bär. The neo-classical mansion is connected through access balcony with the old Burghalde.

Also part of the property are the so-called Hirzel House of 1696 and the coach house dating from the 18th century.

The Burghalde is now in the possession of the civic community Lenzburg. The property was renovated in 1983 and converted into a museum, which opened in 1985.

The museum shows the history Lenzburgs from the Stone Age to the modern day. Especially well represented are the early days with finds from the 6000 years old burial site, found a few hundred yards away, as well as the development of the town into an industrial city.

The museum also contains the only major Russian icon collection in Switzerland.

The museum is open Tuesday to Saturday 14 - 17, Sunday 11-17.

DE: Die Burghalde ist ein herrschaftliches Anwesen am Fuss des Schlosshügels östlich der Altstadt von Lenzburg. Der ältere Teil wurde 1628 erbaut: Im spätgotische Wohnhaus wurde 1704/1718 ein barocker Prunksaal eingerichtet. 1793/94 wurde die neue Burghalde von Johann Jakob Bär gebaut. Die klassizistische Villa ist durch eine Laube mit der alten Burghalde verbunden.

Zum Anwesen gehören noch das sogenannte Hirzelhaus von 1696 und das Kutscherhaus aus dem 18. Jahrhundert.

Die Burghalde befindet sich heute im Besitz der Bürgergemeinde Lenzburg. Das Anwesen wurde 1983 renoviert und zum Museum umgebaut, das 1985 eröffnet wurde.

Das Museum zeigt die Geschichte Lenzburgs von der Steinzeit bis in die Moderne. Besonders stark vertreten ist die Frühzeit mit Funden aus dem nur wenige hundert Meter entfernten, 6000 Jahre alten Gräberfeld, sowie die Entwicklung der Stadt zu einem Industriestandort.

Daneben enthält das Museum die einzige grosse russische Ikonensammlung der Schweiz.

Das Museum ist Dienstag bis Samstag von 14 - 17 Uhr geöffnet, Sonntag 11 - 17 Uhr.
Theme:
Local cultural history


Street Address:
Schlossgasse 21+5600 Lenzburg


Food Court: no

Gift Shop: no

Hours of Operation:
Tuesday to Saturday 14 - 17, Sunday 11-17.


Cost: 5.00 (listed in local currency)

Museum Size: Medium

Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
In order to log this waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. Please post a picture of yourself or your GPSr in front some identifiable feature or point of interest either in the museum, or on the museum grounds.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest History Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.