Palazzo della Mercanzia - Bologna, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 44° 29.619 E 011° 20.794
32T E 686568 N 4929382
Quick Description: The Palazzo della Mercanzia, also called the Loggia dei Mercanti or Palazzo del Carrobbio, is located in the homonymous square on the city of Bologna. It was damage by an aerial bomb and later restored to his original condition.
Location: Emilia–Romagna, Italy
Date Posted: 6/25/2014 3:54:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMM01A
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Ištván
Views: 1

Long Description:
An inscription on a stone place in the wall reads:

"Colpita al piede da bomba aerea
che lanciata il 25 settembre 1943 non esplose
Gravemente mutilata dalla stessa
fatta esplodere due giorni dopo
contro la volontá dei cittadini
questa loggia
fu consolidata dal 1943 al 1944 dal genio civile
e ripristinata dal 1946 al 1948 dalla soprintendenza al monumenti
a spese dello sato"


English translation whit the help of google:

"Shoted by an aerial bomb
which was launched in September 25, 1943 that did not explode
Was severely mutilated by the same bomb
that detonated two days later
against the will of the citizens
this lodge
was consolidated from 1943 to 1944 by civil engineering
and restored from 1946 to 1948 by the Superintendency of monuments
at the expense of the persons concerned"



At the location there is also a historic marker that reads:

"Eretto a partire dal 1384, sotto la direzione di Antonio di Vincenzo e di Lorenzo da Bagnomarino, fu destinato ad uffici della dogana con una loggia per lo scarico delle merci. L'edificio fu restaurato da Alfonso Rubbiani (1887-89). Negli oculi della facciata tardo-gotica copie delle statue in pietra calcarea della Giustizia e dei santi protettori della città, eseguite da seguaci dei Dalle Masegne, ora presso il Museo Civico Medievale. "

English translation:

"Built starting in 1384 under the direction of Antonio di Vincenzo and Lorenzo da Bagnomarino, he was assigned to the customs office with a loggia for unloading of goods. The building was restored by Alfonso Rubbiani (1887-89). Oculi in the late-Gothic facade copies of limestone statues of Justice and of the patron saints of the city, carried out by followers of the Dalle Masegne, now at the Medieval Civic Museum"
Related Website: [Web Link]

Supplementary Related Website: [Web Link]

Admission Fee: Not listed

Opening Days/Times: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Posting a picture(s) of the location would be nice although not required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World War II Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.