IOOF Lodge Banner No. 67 - Priest River, ID
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 48° 10.730 W 116° 54.447
11U E 506879 N 5336181
Quick Description: The IOOF building, constructed in 1914, is a two storey brick structure on Main Street. It was built with commercial space on the lower floor and meeting rooms on the second storey. Today it also houses the Masons and the Order of the Eastern Star.
Location: Idaho, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2014 11:29:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMKYNF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member kbarhow
Views: 0

Long Description:
Banner Lodge #67 in Priest River is still active, but it is unclear whether they continue to meet in this building, as the address given for meetings (First & Third Thursdays) is 3474 Hiway No. 2, which is well outside town, toward Newport, WA. Note that they should be celebrating their centennial this year.
The IOOF building is a two-story, flat-roofed structure that is divided into two bays of unequal size for commercial businesses on the lower level, and the International Order of Odd Fellows meeting hall on the upper level. The brick masonry building is set on a poured concrete foundation. The flat roof is composed of built-up tar. The building measures 50'-0" x 60'-0". The northern storefront is presently vacant and the southern storefront is occupied by a tavern.

The IOOF building's most noteworthy stylistic features are achieved through the use of decorative brick detailing. The coping consists of a row of headers layered between a row of stretchers. Below the coping, a series of closely placed, evenly spaced corbelled bricks distinguish the roof line. A stringcourse of stretchers lies below the corbelling. Beneath the top stringcourse, a block pattern was achieved using cut bricks to form the design. A second stringcourse of stretchers matching the top stringcourse in design frames the block motif. A third stringcourse of stretchers marks the storefront level of the building. Square brick piers are placed at the north and south corners of the primary facade, with a third pier marking the division between the two storefronts. The piers extend slightly above the roof line of the building. The use of imbrication in simple, contrasting vertical and horizontal designs, coupled with the rather massive appearance of the piers, gives the building a sense of cohesiveness. Fenestration on the upper level consists of three pairs of one-over-one double-hung sash windows placed beneath flat arches.

The storefronts on the first floor have been extensively altered. Materials that are incompatible with the original treatments cover both storefronts. Windows in the north bay of the building have been completely sheathed in vertical cedar board, while the low wall beneath the windows has been faced with insulbrick. The entry doors are not original. It appears that the present storefront claddings have covered, not replaced, original fabrications. Despite alterations, the original fenestration of the building is clearly evident, and sequential modifications have not overwhelmed the building to the point that its original function is unclear. Although there are some broken windows on the building's upper level, the building retains good exterior integrity.
From the Idaho Historical Society


Location Details:
See long description.


Date of construction: 1914

location website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
A unique picture, including yourself in the picture, or at least one with your GPS in the frame.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Odd Fellow Lodges
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.