Cresson, TX - Population 1014
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 32° 32.672 W 097° 38.579
14S E 627419 N 3601606
Quick Description: Cresson, TX, population 1014 as of this posting. This sign is on the west side of TX 171, at the northwest city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/8/2014 1:07:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMKNWR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Handbook of Texas has this to say about Cresson: (visit link)

Cresson is at the intersection of US Highway 377 and State Highway 171, seventeen miles south of Fort Worth on the Hood-Johnson county line. The town was named for John Cresson, captain of a wagon train that camped in the area before the Civil War. Cresson later built several houses and a general store on the site of the future town. Stagecoaches operated as early as 1856 from Jacksboro and Weatherford to Cresson and from Cresson to Cleburne, Waco, Granbury, and Stephenville. Around the town longhorn cattle grazed on land leased from the state. Early settlers included the Stewarts, who came from Kentucky in 1860, the Slocums, who operated the Stage Coach House, the Fidlers, who built the first hotel, and W. W. Wolf, who owned and operated the first cotton gin. In 1887 the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway was built through Cresson and extended to Granbury, the county seat. The railroad bolstered the economy in Cresson by opening the Fort Worth and Granbury markets to the town's agricultural products and livestock. When the Santa Fe Railroad was extended through the county in the same year, it crossed the Fort Worth and Rio Grande at Cresson. A post office was also established in 1887.

By 1890 Cresson had a population of thirty-five, a lumberyard, and three stores. The First Methodist Church was established in 1894; a tornado later destroyed the building, and a new one was built in the 1960s. The First Baptist Church was established in 1896. The population of Cresson reached 100 that year. By 1905 the town had two banks, eight general stores, a drugstore, a lumberyard, two doctors, a justice of the peace, and a constable who employed two deputies. In 1904 Cresson had a reported population of 279. The population remained fairly constant until the early 1970s, when it was reported at 208. In 1988 the town continued to have a population of about 200 and eight businesses and was primarily a ranching and retirement community. Two manufacturing companies were operating: Tex-Star Industries, which manufactures stucco, and a fertilizer company, Hyponex. Children in grade school are bused to Acton, and middle and high school students are bused to Granbury. Two museums — the Hal S. Smith Machinery Museum and Sturdy's Prairie Box Museum — have functioned in Cresson, but both are now closed. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was 208.
Address: Northwest city limit, TX 171

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
TerraViators visited Cresson, TX - Population 1014 12/6/2014 TerraViators visited it
QuarrellaDeVil visited Cresson, TX - Population 1014 5/7/2014 QuarrellaDeVil visited it

View all visits/logs