Marvell, AR - Population 1,186
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 34° 33.812 W 090° 55.819
15S E 689874 N 3826588
Quick Description: Marvell, AR, population 1,186 as of this posting. This sign is located on the west side of US 49, at the northwestern city limit. Musicians Levon Helm and Sam Carr were both from Marvell, pronounced as in "Captain Marvel."
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 4/30/2014 9:56:09 AM
Waymark Code: WMKM4C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 0

Long Description:
Wikipedia has some background on Marvell: (visit link)

Marvell was founded when Marvell M. Carruth and his wife, Rachel, sold 50 lots of land given to him by his father, Ladson Carruth, to the Arkansas Central Railroad. A train depot was soon established. Marvell became an un-incorporated town on May 28, 1873, with R.M. Jackson as its first mayor. Three years later, on October 3, 1876, Marvell became an incorporated town.

In 1877, the Union Trust foreclosed on the Arkansas Central Railroad and sold all of its assets at public auction. On December 6, 1877, the Arkansas Midland Railway Company was formed. Under new ownership, the railroad became profitable, not only as a freight line, but also by providing daily passenger service from Clarendon to Brinkley and on to Helena, making stops in Marvell along the way. This service ran until 1952. The tracks which ran from Marvell to Holly Grove were abandoned in 1977.

In the early 1900s there were 15 different merchants in the city of Marvell. One of the stores that stayed in business the longest was A. Hirsch & Co., which did an immense mercantile business and owned valuable land in the area. The Garner Stave Company sold miscellaneous items, such as farming and manufacturing goods.

The Marvell Public Library was established in 1922 by Mrs. Dave McDonald, who remained active until her death. In 1925, the Marvell Bottling plant was built by James Williford, only to close shortly afterward due to the high cost and shortage of sugar. At the beginning of the Great Depression all banks in Phillips County closed, with the exception of the Bank of Marvell. County Judge E.P. Molitor, a Marvell native, began construction on a road connecting Helena to Clarendon in 1930. J. L. Turner was mayor during the thirties. In 1939 the Marvell School burned. M.M. Tate School burned at a later date.

During the 1940s the population of Marvell was approximately 1,000.

In the 1980s, under the leadership of Mayor Alma Norton, the Marvell City Park and bike trail were built on the old railroad. The Davidson Park was also built and given to the city by the Abe Davidson family.

In the 1990s, the population of Marvell was approximately 1545. In 1997 the Marvell Medical Clinic was built with citizen donations. The clinic expanded in only one year to include dental services and interactive two-way compressed video use for medical consultations and health education.
Address: US 49, northwestern city limit

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
QuarrellaDeVil visited Marvell, AR - Population 1,186 4/20/2014 QuarrellaDeVil visited it