Ponte Di Mezzo - Pisa, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 43° 42.951 E 010° 24.111
32T E 612927 N 4841268
Quick Description: This bridge over the river Arno is located in the center of the city of Pisa.
Location: Toscana, Italy
Date Posted: 4/17/2014 1:50:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMKHH7
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Ištván
Views: 3

Long Description:
"The bridge is 89 metres long has a single arch 12.5metres high; it is constructed in reinforced concrete and faced with white Verona stone. Destroyed by Allied bombing during the last war, it was built in its present form, to a plan chosen by the townspeople in a referendum, by the Aussant, Bellucci, Salghetti-Drioli, Trinci, Morganti, Bertini group (1946-1950).
In Roman times, the banks of the river Arno were linked by a bridge near the church of S. Cristina, along the Aemila Scauri Consular way, now via S. Martino. The crossing over the Arno was probably moved to its present position in the 11th century. Until 1183 it was the only bridge, and was called ponte de Arno, but after floods in 1179 destroyed all the bridges, including the ponte pisano, it was decided to build another one at the end of Via S. Maria and to re-build the ponte de Arno, which then acquired the name of ponte Vecchio. The bridge was crowded with buildings, shops and stalls that made the most of its central position on the main thoroughfare that crossed Pisa from north to south.
The bridge was repaired in 1388 by will of Pietro Gambacorti and collapsed once more in 1637. The reconstruction of a three-arched bridge, completed in 1660 by Francesco Nave, caused the demolition of several buildings on the two banks, and created a new panorama in Pisa, with the Logge dei Banchi facing directly on to the river.
Since the second half of the 17thcentury, the "Gioco del Ponte" has taken place on the bridge. It involves a struggle between teams from the two parts of Pisa, north and south of the river (Mezzogiorno and Tramontana), to win the bridge by pushing a heavy float into the adversary’s side of the bridge."
From: (visit link)


"In 1944 the bombs and mines of the Second World War destroyed the bridge, and for its reconstruction deeply felt by the population, a referendum was held to choose the project. The choice fell on the solution to a single light in contrast to that advocated by the examining committee: a three-span bridge. In 1946 the competition was instituted which led to the completion of the construction of the bridge only in May 1950 , with a delay on delivery due to problems both technical and bureaucratic. The bridge was built a little 'further downstream of the former as it was planned to open a road parallel to the course Italy, a road that was not, in fact, ever made; Italy Borgo Stretto course and then lost the direct connection with this previous work.
Subsequently the bridge was equipped with some finishing touches in memory of the previous work. Among these may be listed side lining of marble and the four spheres at the entrance of the bridge."


Translated From:
Related Website: [Web Link]

Supplementary Related Website: [Web Link]

Admission Fee: Free

Opening Days/Times:
24/7


Visit Instructions:
Posting a picture(s) of the location would be nice although not required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World War II Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.