St Mary the Virgin Church - Monken Hadley, Barnet, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 39.689 W 000° 11.641
30U E 694064 N 5727117
Quick Description: This church is in the charming village of Monken Hadley just to the north of Barnet. It was rebuilt in 1494 but a church has stood here since the 12th century.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/1/2014 7:53:43 AM
Waymark Code: WMKEMW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MrsMcFly
Views: 1

Long Description:

The church's website tells us of the history of the church:

A church has stood on this site since the twelfth century. Back then it served a peasant community very different from our own.  Its present structure was established in the fifteenth century, not long after the Battle of Barnet. Over the years many alterations were made to the building, especially on the inside. Galleries were erected in 1776 and taken down less than a hundred years later.  Redecoration was undertaken with the aim of ensuring that the building was fit for purpose in each generation, while preserving its medieval beauty and charm. Like a relay runner each genera­tion is only temporarily responsible for the church – its building and its worship.

In 1307, there was a small chapel, understood to be the size of the present chancel.  It had slit windows and lighting inside from tallow dipped bulrushes, still growing around the pond on the common.

The present building dates from the last years of the fifteenth century; the date 1494 is marked over the west door in Arabic numerals.

The style of the building is late perpendicular and the nave, chancel and transepts are built from flint stone.  The tower was added to the original structure in the early sixteenth century, with a stair turret constructed of ironstone and a cresset, or fire beacon, on top which is still lit on special occasions.

The church was restored significantly during 1848 – 1850 by the architect G. E. Street. Floors and walls were raised and extended thus altering the original proportions of the fifteenth century building.  In particular, the area of the choir and sanctuary was raised and the retaining step down to the chancel, removed.

There were then two chapels, dedicated to St Anne on the north side and on the south side to St Catherine. The latter has remained in use since it was restored in 1958. It is a place for prayer, especially mid-week.

St Anne’s Chapel has become the north transept, which now houses the fine Forster and Andrews organ, installed and restored in 1992.  The original organ had been in the church in a slightly different location, since 1850.

The vestry was added in 1888 in the north-east corner of the church, in the angle formed by the nave and north transept.

Electric lighting was installed in 1931, up to which time the church had been lit only by wax candles. In 1977, further restoration work was undertaken.  This included lighting being updated, stone work repaired and replaced, gas heating installed and redecoration.

The church is Grade II* listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

Dated circa 1494 on west tower. Flint and ironstone with many C19 additions. Heavy handed restoration circa 1848-50 by G E Street his first church restoration. The interior is mainly C19. Four bay nave with hammerbeam roof. Very rare C18 copper beacon on tower. Stained glass by Warrington 1846. Small brasses and monument to Sir Roger Wilbraham by Nicholas Stone 1616. The churchyard contains contemporary tombs including those of W M Thackeray, Ms Hester Chapone and John Monro MD.

City, Town, Village Name: Monken Hadley

Building Usage: Church

Architectural style: Perpendicular

Public or Private: Public

Tours Available?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photo of the building is necessary to log a visit in this category, no photos of GPS or person required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Cobblestone Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.